IPC$ Password Required (Can't connect to other PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidsministrator

In our office, we have 12 computers 'networked' with each other. Straightly, I cannot connect to one PC which is my boss' PC BUT he can connect to mine. I need to 'share'/submit my report documents from my PC to his using network sharing & vice-versa.

My PC is running windows 98. (Quite new old PC)
My boss' is windows 2000 Server.

I've installed File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service on my pc.
I changed the workgroup name using our network workgroup name. Restarted & open Network Neighbourhood. Ok, I can see other computers.

But the main problem occured after I was trying to connect to my boss' PC (from the Network Neighbourhood). After I double-clicked, a box came out asking me for password. Here's the details:

Title: Enter Network Password
Text: you must supply a password to make this connection.
Resource: \\...\IPC$

I've tried adding a user from my boss' pc (by right-clicking My Computer > Manage > Local Users and Groups. Right-click 'Users' folder & click 'add user'). I key in my Username.
Then, in his shared folder (from his pc), I set the sharing permission already (by adding my username).

But I still cannot connect to his PC BUT he can connect to mine.

I even set his administrator password & of course this doesn't help at all.

What is this IPC$ for? remote connection?? I don't think so..

Can help?

You have the same problem as me: see thread "Home Network demands (unknown) Password to connect". I don't have the answer yet but our threads maybe should be connected.

Peddant's link looked useful at first sight, but I think maybe it's only valid for XP Pro?

I have XP Home, and after enabling Guest Account, I found under Admin Tools there is nothing in XP Home relating to "Local Security Policy/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignments". Simply enabling Guest Account has not solved the problem.

Most things that can be found there are merely pre-installed regedits. (ie, they can be performed with a registry edit if you know where to look)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back