iPhone 3G S announced, the S is for speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

As expected, Apple has unveiled a new version of the iPhone at its Worldwide Developers Conference today. Officially known as the iPhone 3G S, the design of the device won't change much from its predecessor, but it's what's on the inside that matters. This version sports a faster processor, longer battery life, improved camera with video recording, and a digital compass. It also comes with larger capacities, going all the way to 32GB.

Although it lacks the often rumored front facing camera, squashing hopes for video calls as a result, the new iPhone does have a 3 megapixel camera with auto focus, auto white balance, auto exposure, and a nifty tap to focus feature. Additionally, the camera is capable of recording 640x480 resolution video at 30fps with audio, allowing some basic editing as well in a similar fashion to iMovie.

The new iPhone will also be able to access 3G data connections of up to 7.2 Mbps, where available, and support a number of new features like built-in hardware encryption for data security and integration between the digital compass and mapping applications to automatically orient the map to the direction the user is facing. Apple added built in voice control as well to start calls, find songs, and other information on the phone.

The iPhone 3GS will run the upcoming 3.0 software and should be available June 19 in 16GB and 32GB flavors for $199 and $299 respectively. Those who don’t find these updates enticing enough may be interested to know that the current 8GB iPhone 3G will remain available for $99 with a two-year contract.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully they will drop the price of the 32gb ipod touch because of this. $399 is way too much for one of those not to also be a phone.

Why ask...I use Iphone 3g with 64-bit vista right now with no problem...

Why does anyone ask a question......Because he didn't know maybe ?

Wendig0, the iPhone's price is dropped because AT&T overcharges for it's wireless service. That means that they can recover some of the expenses on the phone in the first year and enjoy large profit's in the second. The iPod Touch's price won't come down because there's no contract binding you to a store where you pay $70+ monthly.

I know - sad that they still ask *that* much money for a Touch. I have a first gen 16GB Touch and want to upgrade, but Apple is asking twice the cost that I'm willing to pay. For us, we can only hope that competition from Zune and others drives the prices down.

will work perfectly

im running vista 64bit SP2

using iPhone 3g now

I have a "great" T-mobile plan and I don't want to let it go. However, I'm considering upgrading to a new phone. I heard great things about Apple 3Gs and I'm assuming the new 3G S is even better.
Does somebody knows if an un-locked 3G S will work with T-mobile without problems?

Based on some postings, it seems like the 3G S may work with Vista 64. Right?

Because I need a good phone with great camera/video capability I'm considering the Samsung Memoir T929 Black which work with T-Mobile for sure. Can any body tell me if the 3G S camara/video is better or not than the Memoir, please?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back