TechSpot

iPhone 5 earns a score of 7 out of 10 in iFixit teardown

By Shawn Knight
Sep 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple devices have traditionally earned a poor score from repair enthusiast site iFixit but their latest handset breaks tradition completely. The iPhone 5 has garnered a repairability score of 7 out of 10 – the higher the score, the easier...

Read more

2. I highly doubt that is what apple actually wanted

3. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

Probably not, but hey, maybe they'll learn that this mistake wasn't a mistake at all.

4. They're still gonna charge $100 for a replacement screen, so they're not losing any money either way.

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +88

I am so impressed that the screen can be replaced so easily. This is a huge improvement. I bet they'd have gotten an 8 if they went back to phillips screws.

6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +88

They won some design awards for it, so I'm sure it's exactly what they wanted.

Then buy the off-brands. They'll be cheap and probably look a little worse. But the days of replacing just the digitizers are over, indeed.

7. Porters

Porters TS Member

Hopefully the screen will be a little bit more resilient, I accidentally broke, and then had to pay for my best mate's girlfriend's 4S by having it squashed between my HTC and my thigh in a (mildly inebriated) forward roll.

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,922   +151

I cant believe they don't use USB.