iPhone 5 earns a score of 7 out of 10 in iFixit teardown

By Shawn Knight
Sep 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple devices have traditionally earned a poor score from repair enthusiast site iFixit but their latest handset breaks tradition completely. The iPhone 5 has garnered a repairability score of 7 out of 10 – the higher the score, the easier...

Read more
  2. I highly doubt that is what apple actually wanted
  3. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

Probably not, but hey, maybe they'll learn that this mistake wasn't a mistake at all.
  4. They're still gonna charge $100 for a replacement screen, so they're not losing any money either way.
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

I am so impressed that the screen can be replaced so easily. This is a huge improvement. I bet they'd have gotten an 8 if they went back to phillips screws.
  6. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

They won some design awards for it, so I'm sure it's exactly what they wanted.

Then buy the off-brands. They'll be cheap and probably look a little worse. But the days of replacing just the digitizers are over, indeed.
  7. Porters

Porters TechSpot Member

Hopefully the screen will be a little bit more resilient, I accidentally broke, and then had to pay for my best mate's girlfriend's 4S by having it squashed between my HTC and my thigh in a (mildly inebriated) forward roll.
  8. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,570   +41

I cant believe they don't use USB.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.