TechSpot

iPhone 5 now rumored to be announced and released in August

By Emil
Jun 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ever since the iPhone 5 was delayed, rumors have suggested production for the device will start in either July or September, but both expect it to arrive in time for…

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

4" 720p display please. Obviously the android OEMs don't want to beat apple's screen resolution even though they release new phones every ****ing week.

3. 4 inch 720P display? I can understand the larger size, but 720P (i.e., 1280x720) on such a tiny screen is a waste of $. They would be better off trying to double the battery life, improve calling reception and integrate a mini-HDMI / Displayport to the phone. There has been a disturbing trend of people wanting crazy amount of pixels on tiny screens (like 1600P on a 12 inch notebook). I didn't realize some humans had the vision of a hawk. Not only that, but no serious professional subjects themselves to the pain of using a 10-12 inch laptop with such tiny resolution to "improve productivity". Similarly, a 720P display is only for bragging rights. They would be much better off trying to improve viewing angles, black levels (to match Plasma TVs), and refresh rates (to make gaming more acceptable).

4. Whenever the Grand Poobah speaks of breathtaking new features, the flock of sheep will line up at the local Apple store to get the new iPhone. If Jobs painted a piece of cardboard with the iPhone home screen people will go and buy it too. Apple is a cult!

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Only people nicknamed Hawkeye.

6. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 592   +45

Nah, I'll take the 720p display. Why would you want an integrated mini-HDMI port? There's a $40 adapter for that!

7. princeton

We already have phone screens with black levels superior to plasma TVs. They're called super amoled displays. We also are capable of achieving great refresh rates and response times. OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of between 2 and 8 ms response time offering a frame rate of +/-240 Hz, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time enabling 100,000 Hz refresh rates.

8. BrianUMR

BrianUMR TS Rookie Posts: 44

Why do you need that refresh rate when we are watching 30 or 60 fps video? Not much of a reason to have a future proof phone either.

Also I am going to go out on a limb and say the market demand isn't there for higher pixels per inch. There are so many new android phones coming out all the time and you don't see any using those higher res screens.

9. princeton

We don't have that refresh rate. I was responding to him saying we should be working towards that by letting him know that it's already possible, just not used.

10. Who wants a phone with a hemroid OS

Baaaaaaa, he bleats

11. Im Jez not Guest :D
    Anyways I would like to see the next iphone shaped a bit more wedge like I have trouble at the moment with the current iphone keeping my door open... :D.

On a serious note iphone hardware is generally good I would like though for them to open the phone up a little more so we dont have to fanny around jailbreaking the device to make it into a decent phone.

12. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Oh boy, another one? I totally didn't see this coming.

/czar's chasm

13. AMOLED screens also burn in, i am sure the Apple fanboys would see it as a feature to enable prefetching of icons though.

14. princeton

So do plasma TVs, but nobody complains anymore because they've gotten to the point where it's minimal.

15. I love my Windows Phone 7 :p

16. princeton

I cried when the wp7 phones with their snapdragon cpus performed better than my Nexus S and my SGS.

17. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

"the iPhone 5 will reportedly have a radical new case design"

People liked the iPhone4 and knew they were gonna get a great phone, yes i said great phone, but for some people it wasn't sexy and sleek enough for them, maybe the iPhone 5 will bring sexy back ;) Regardless the iSheep will flock as always and my eyes will continue to roll

18. princeton

Regardless of what people say the iphone 4 is designed extremely well. Unfortunately the durability of the glass they used made the execution of the design very poor. Why have a beautiful design when you have to use a case?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.