iPhone 5 ships with scuffs, Apple tightens production standards

By Rick
Oct 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Amongst the several complaints lodged against the newly released iPhone 5, it is perhaps most difficult to ignore the continuous flow of claims that iPhones are shipping with scuffs, nicks, chips and scratches -- even before removing it from the...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,571   +480

I'll have iPhone 6 with a bullet-through feature any time, me and my redneck bros.
    Apple - keep at it!
  3. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

Seems like the iphone 5 has a new issue every day. So much for their high grade metallic design.
    ghasmanjr likes this.
  4. This aluminium is not anodized (on that picture), I worked in it, this is simple painted
  5. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Perhaps it's anodized aluminium under the paint? :)
  6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

Anodising does not take well to sharp or small corners/edges, a High school science class learns this right out of the box.

Guest does have a case though, the image shown is not typical of anodising damage. Would have to see the actual surface to really know and I won't be going out of my way to get a look at a I phone any time soon.
  7. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 119   +20

My iPhone5 is shiny...but does have the major WiFi problem. I'm surprised no news site is picking up on the Wifi Problems...No... not the, it's using cellular instead of wifi but, the wifi is super slow, stops working completely, or won't even connect. I'm so sick of my crappy WiFi on the phone I just turned it off for now. Seems like replacing the phones are hit and miss...But apparently Apple is aware of the problem. Over 100 pages on the issue at Apples forums https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714?start=1635&tstart=0 But hey...It's an iPhone5 right!
  8. Denxnis

Denxnis Newcomer, in training

Mine works great and has no scratches! :)
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,571   +480

Well, this can be easily solved, you know ;) I scratched my iPhone 4 with a door key, to make it look like iPhone 5 ;) It was a worthy upgrade ;)
    m4a4 and SkaminTraX like this.
  10. "This aluminium is not anodized (on that picture), I worked in it, this is simple painted"

"Perhaps it's anodized aluminium under the paint? :) "

No.. no.. let me correct this.. this is not anodized aluminum, but aluminum unibody painted with the color of anodized aluminum :D

11. My girl said her iPhone 5 is easy to scratch like chipping.. and I know her, she always take the utmost care for all her gadget :)

12. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Really?? All this fuss over........nothing. Every Apple product comes out with some form of flaw. Its the way Apple does it. And lets be realistic here. As a retail manager that sells cellphones I see this a lot. Ppl DO NOT PROTECT THIER DEVICES!!! I have to say that atleast in my store, well over 50% of the customers do not see a need nor do they want a case or screenguard for thier phones. They then scratch or break thier phone then wonder why thier carrier wont replace thier device. This wouldnt be a deal breaker for me. Most ppl cant go a month w/o scratching dropping or breaking thier phones. Just toss the phone into a good solid case. Problem solved.
  13. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,385   +607

Just like they don't use Gorilla glass... my work iphone 4 has multiple scratches on the front (none on rear..?) from being in a pocket with keys for a total of 5 mins.
  14. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Apple does damaged merchandise from out of the box? Is that a feature?
  15. No, a feature would tend to be a positive attribute, one which the company producing the item considers to be a selling point. I think Tygerstrike was (quite well & eloquently) making the point that Apple produce can be quality-challenged, in the sense of an accidental flaw in the goods. Given this accidental nature of the imperfection, the probability of it being "a feature" is approaching zero.
    Hope this helps. :)
  16. "Apple does damaged merchandise from out of the box? Is that a feature?"

I think that's what we call bad quality control :)
  17. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

Someone should tell Apple this, because they mistakenly put their maps app down as a feature
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  18. @ReederOnTheRun

"Someone should tell Apple this, because they mistakenly put their maps app down as a feature"

I guess everyone knows it, even Tim Cook has made statement regarding of this, you can read the article about this on TS not long ago

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.