iPhone event official, October 4 at Apple campus

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has officially confirmed an iPhone-based event for October 4. Invitations have been sent to various media regarding the press conference, which will be held at 10:00am next Tuesday with the tag line “Let’s talk iPhone.”

As per previous rumors, the gathering will take place at Apple’s campus in Cupertino, California. The company has traditionally held big announcements at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. Why Apple decided to move the iPhone event to their home base is still a mystery, but there are some pretty good theories.

This will be the first event led by new CEO Tim Cook since Steve Jobs stepped down from the position last month. It’s possible that Apple wanted to keep the event close to home so Cook would be more comfortable. Other signs point to the San Francisco venue being booked up already or the possibility that Apple wants to demonstrate LTE capabilities of the next iPhone.

And we're still no closer to knowing exactly what Apple will introduce at the event. Speculation has pointed to either a slightly modified iPhone 4, being called the 4S, or a total revamp known collectively as the iPhone 5. An iPhone 5 could include anything from a larger screen, thinner footprint, better battery life, NFC-capabilities, LTE capabilities and more. About the only thing that seems solid is that the new iPhone will feature the A5 SoC found inside the iPad 2.

We’ll know for sure by this time next week.

Permalink to story.

This appears to be the last of the Steve Jobs era of devices & announcements, Apple will go downhill without it's 'messiah'.

You should know because you foresaw Apple's current success before Jobs returned as CEO.

Guest said:
Apple will go downhill without it's 'messiah'.
What a bold statement, when no one has an idea how the new CEO will handle things. That wasn't the case with Microsoft, so why would it be for Apple? Only time will tell, if the new CEO is up for the task.

With that said its not all on the CEO. How many people under the CEO has an equally important position toward innovation.

Whatever it is they got, they won't be able to compete with the onslaught of kickass Galaxy S devices.

cliffordcooley said:
Guest said:
Apple will go downhill without it's 'messiah'.
What a bold statement, when no one has an idea how the new CEO will handle things. That wasn't the case with Microsoft, so why would it be for Apple? Only time will tell, if the new CEO is up for the task.

With that said its not all on the CEO. How many people under the CEO has an equally important position toward innovation.

Because the consumer dictates what happens to the company......not all the "innovative" employees. They provide a product, but its up to the consumer to purchase it. That's where Steve Jobs came in. He was a recognizable figurehead. If he said it, the isheep were all over it. He was the connection between the apple user and the apple product. Microsoft never had such a set up and thats why Bill Gates leaving didnt have such a dramatic impact. Bill Gates didnt build the company around himself. He built it to run BY-ITSELF.

Steve Jobs didnt do that. He built Apple in such a way that he ended up having a following. He built Apple in a way that put himself in a very much needed and not so easy to fill spot. Apple was built so that in order for success to happen, Steve needed to be in the middle of it. I rest my case by pointing to the last time he resigned from Apple. They almost declared banktruptcy by the time he came back. Apple needs Steve Jobs to succeed. Its the way they were set up it would seem.

I guess all-in-all, time will tell..........but it doesnt look promising. A lot of "umph" seems to have been taken out of Apple's proverbial sails.....

Apple is not going anywhere anytime soon. The more competition, the better products and prices consumers will see so bring it on Apple, Android, Microsoft and every other company out there.

Steve Jobs didnt do that. He built Apple in such a way that he ended up having a following. He built Apple in a way that put himself in a very much needed and not so easy to fill spot. Apple was built so that in order for success to happen, Steve needed to be in the middle of it. I rest my case by pointing to the last time he resigned from Apple. They almost declared banktruptcy by the time he came back. Apple needs Steve Jobs to succeed. Its the way they were set up it would seem.

I guess all-in-all, time will tell..........but it doesnt look promising. A lot of "umph" seems to have been taken out of Apple's proverbial sails.....

Your recollection of history is flawed. For one, Steve didn't resign from Apple the first time, he was fired. Also, and I don't really blame you for this one, Jobs has been getting others involved in keynotes and events more and more since he was first sick. His stage time has really decreased over the years, he's been getting Apple followers and shareholders warmed up to other key people in the company. Jobs has convinced most Apple followers that the other people in charge share the same vision as he (Jobs) does.

Even if you don't believe any of what I said above, look at Apple's stock since he resigned. It took a little hit, then climbed back up and even hit an all time high recently (Sept 20th?).

What Apple has to be concerned with is that they don't slip on their product delivery. Android and its multitude of manufacturers is like a rolling ball of butcher knives. Apple only has one chance a year and if it screws up delivery of the next iPhone it could see its market share stagnate or drop.

There will always be a core of Apple evangelists but as Android gains market share there will be fewer opportunities for your non-tech folks to see anything but an Android phone in the hands of friends and family.

I certainly hope that Apply continues to provide a market presence as its innovative streak is good for the industry. It would be nice to see them partner better, open their environment a bit and stick around for the long haul rather than playing second fiddle to the dominant market player.

SNGX1275 said:
Even if you don't believe any of what I said above, look at Apple's stock since he resigned. It took a little hit, then climbed back up and even hit an all time high recently (Sept 20th?).
The new iPhone will be released soon, so i think that might have something to do with the high market price value. Apple is going to be fine, all Tim Crook needs to do is learn how to herd the massive flock if iSheep, creating a new "i" device helps.

Back