iPhone users not waking up on time due to DST bug

Emil

iPhone users aren't waking up on time due to a Daylight Saving Time (DST) bug. Even though the iOS clock changes correctly, the alarm does not.

Last month, users down under were woken up an hour early due to an iOS bug that caused recurring alarms to go off at the wrong time after the DST switch. It started in New Zealand and eventually hit some territories in Australia following their DST change a week later. It looks like Americans and Europeans are facing similar issues today, according to hundreds of messages on Twitter. Europeans have it the worst though: while the other regions are being woken up an hour early, those in Europe are being woken up an hour late. As a result, many are not making it to work or school on time.

It is rather shocking that Apple hasn't addressed this issue in a timely fashion (pun intended). After it happened the first time, the company promised to fix the problem, and we expect it will do so in the upcoming iOS 4.2 update (along with other bug fixes) but there's no telling when that will be. Many think the problem is that Apple's time zone programming in iOS relies on obsolete protocols for DST.

Permalink to story.

This was a known issue, as the author and others have noted.
European iPhone users really have no excuse for being ignorant to this problem.

This was a known issue, as the author and others have noted.
European iPhone users really have no excuse for being ignorant to this problem.

Could you clarify your last statement for me? How are they ignorant? Did Apple notify iphone users somehow that there was a bug? If so, then I completely agree with you; if not, then how can you blame the consumer for not knowing?

Isn't DST time in America next week, the 8th?... Seems like a lot of people are using this bug as an excuse to be late on a Monday after a holiday...

We already found out about this down here in OZ. Turns out Apple didn't believe us when we said that their clocks weren't working.

now is it the users fault that their alarms goes off late, like maybe the held the iPhone wrong while setting the alarm or something. Should they buy something to fix it ;)

As someone whose been using a cellphone as an alarm in the morning for years, I'd be pretty angry if this happened to me.

@Flipcharm Like Carvin said, unless Apple made this known to ALL there customers it's bit naive to blame the consumer.

I do not understand why the phone would put the alarm forward an hour. The alarm only needs to stay the same, its the clock that goes back! This has been a basic feature on phones for years!

I had to laugh when I read the title of this article. One of the most simplest and crucial aspects of a phone is it's capability to remind you of things. We all know the iPhone is not just a phone... and apparently it's hype leads us to believe that it is an alarm clock too, but unfortunately it wont say sorry once you are late to work. Haha.

The same thing happened to me with my clock that "automatically" changes based on DST...but it's been wrong ever since Bush's extending of DST. I hate DST with a passion, and Bush just made it more annoying.

I don't know how Apple can't fix this with an update, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Lots of my colleagues turned up to work at 10am lol. We should be thanking Mr Jobs for an extra hour of sleep on Monday morning!

On a side note why the hell does DST/BST exist anyway?

i'm pretty sure some retarded looser will sue Apple for getting late to work due to this bug. in USA everything is possible now, gay marriage, Jedi religion, etc.

Back