iPod Nano not recognized after updating to Windows 7

siegristrm

So, my wife and I just bought Windows7 Ultimate, and she is having problems w/ some of her programs. She reinstalled Itunes 10 and connected her Ipod. The following is the message we get:

An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again.

If the problem persists, uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again.

We've not only uninstalled, reinstalled, disconnected, reconnected, and everything that was supposed to be in the "Troubleshoot" portion of their website, it still comes up with this message. Any help that could get this working again would be much appreciated. Thank you Techspot for giving a tool for people to help each other out.

try a different usb port and try formatting the ipod using windows explorer....remember to format to fat32

oh i forgot that the nano doesnt show up as a drive in windows explorer :S ....damned apple products...sorry man ull have to wait for someone else to help you out

oh i forgot that the nano doesnt show up as a drive in windows explorer :S
Mine does. :confused:

Actually I think it only does if you've enabled it to be used as a disk too.

I guess try this:
1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

I'll try that after my class is over... thanks. Does making it run in disk mode work for the Nano though? I know it has some different functionality than some of the other iPod type products.

I don't know on the new ones. But the 3rd and 5th gen nanos (I have one of each) can run with disk mode enabled fine. Just the obvious, the more files you put on in disk mode the less you can through iTunes, and that it won't play files you toss on there in disk mode (with the exception of txt files).

Well, I did like you suggested and initially left the iPod Nano connected to the PC while doing the Disk Mode. I pressed for 6 seconds and apple showed up, then reverted back to what looked like normal iPod screen. There seemed to be no reaction from iTunes. I then, unplugged it, re-did it, and plugged it back in and still got the "Detect but not identified" error.

Not sure if this will help, but although it doesn't display under "My Computer" as a USB drive (or whatever is the usual), it does show up in device manager as "Portable Device", but not under the "USB controllers".

EDIT: Another thing, I'm unsure if my wife "authorized this machine" or not. Could that make a difference?

EDIT: Also, when connected, it still charges.

Authorization shouldn't matter, thats only to deal with playing copy protected materials.

What if you uninstall it through device manager (the iPod, not iTunes).

Authorization shouldn't matter, thats only to deal with playing copy protected materials.

What if you uninstall it through device manager (the iPod, not iTunes).

I'll try that I suppose... lemme see.

Also, I see I neglected to mention that we went from a 32 bit xp to 64 bit W7.

So, uninstalling it only disconnected it, but didn't change anything. Also, this time it showed up as USB Mass storage (before the uninstall, and subsequent connections thereafter). When I connect it, it does show the drive for just a second under "Devices with removable storage", but then quickly disappears. Also, while it's connected and in device manager under "USB Mass Storage Device", it has a yellow exclamation point on it.

When you removed it from device manager was it under "USB Mass Storage" or elsewhere? If elsewhere, remove it from USB Mass Storage again. If that fails to work again, I guess remove the drivers for your USB Mass Storage (before the pulldown of all the individual entries). Windows will then re-find and reinstall them, then right click and tell it to update driver and see if anything happens.

This sounds a lot more like a driver issue than anything wrong with the iPod itself.

How old is this computer? Did you use the nano in XP on the same computer and same USB ports? Just wondering if there is any chance the USB is 1.1 rather than 2.

Nah, the computer is relatively new (maybe 1.5yrs). What I do know atm, is its not the USB (we have 2.0), and it's not the iPod. I spent all day messing w/ it yesterday, and her iPod worked perfectly on my PC. You could be right about driver issues, and I'll attempt that right now. Also, we did use Nano in XP on the same PC and port.

I'm going to try your suggestions right now.

Back