Iran bans select industries from using foreign e-mail providers

By Rick
May 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Over the weekend, Iran's telecommunications minster warned that in-country financial institutions, insurance firms and communications companies will be limited exclusively to .ir domains for hosting and email purposes. For better...

Read the whole story
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

LOL, those hitting the "Submit" button on that page will probably soon be submitting to a lot of unpleasant things.
  3. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 574   +31

I think it would make sense "that in-country financial institutions, insurance firms and communications companies will be limited exclusively" to their OWN countries domains and NOT Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. The rest is just crazy...
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,038   +695

yeah... I can see the reason too... considering those email providers are run by a country that is a strong ally with Israel. it's actually surprising it didn't happen sooner.

that part about building their own Intranet.. wow. Gonna have to save that for when people here in America are crying that our constitution is meaningless because the govt thought about writing a bill that would require me to use piratebay.se instead of piratebay.com.

They should just do what China does and build filters... or maybe they know they dont' work too well.
  5. halal email ?

What is next ?
  6. Twixtea

Twixtea Newcomer, in training Posts: 87

Several days ago, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei declared anti-filtering technology is illegal within the country, "In general, the use of antifiltering software is subject to the laws and regulations of the Islamic republic, and it is not permissible to violate the law."

Dear Mr. Khamenei, with all respect, shut up.
    If the filtering was on an acceptable extent I would have probably thought twice before saying this, but honestly it's RIDICULOUS.
    I live in Iran, I know what I'm talking about.
  7. Is that a screenshot of Firefox 1.0? Lol.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.