Iran blocks Google due to video controversy, readies own Internet

Rick

Staff

According to Reuters, Google's search and Gmail services have been blocked from public view in Iran. Tehran officials say these latest additions to Iran's web filter are the result of a much publicized anti-Islamic video called "Innocence of Muslims". The controversial video made its home on YouTube a couple of weeks ago, where it has managed to incite anger, protests and violence across portions of the global Muslim community.

Iran already has one of the largest collections of blocked URLs found in any country, but that's just the start. Earlier this year, Iran announced plans of creating its own domestic "Internet" -- an intranet which would be isolated from the rest of the world. Officials claim the goal is national security, something Iran is rightfully concerned about after government servers were infiltrated by US-Israel sponsored Stuxnet and Flame viruses. Skeptics, however, believe Iran's claim of "national security" is little more than an excuse to keep protesters away from "Western" social media tools and non-sanctioned information.

ComputerWorld says this security researcher has confirmed that Google and Gmail are still accessible via direct IP addresses although their hostnames remained blocked. It also appears some mobile phone operators aren't on the same page yet as the Iranian government, allowing mobile access for some -- for now.

Tehran officials says phase one of Iran's upcoming "domestic Internet" has already passed, isolating government operations on its own national network. Phase two, which is expected to arrive sometime next year, will put the rest of Iran's population on their state-sponsored intranet. After the system is deployed, it remains unknown if there will be gradual transition from the global Internet or if Iran will abruptly cut ties.

Permalink to story.

WOW this is so wrong

but hum where do you think theyll get there blue prints for various purposes from now ?

I find it interesting that some cultures can't handle free speech.
In my point of view, your so called "Free Speech" should have limits. If it hurts somebody then it shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances. Let's take an example of yourself. What if somebody starts posting your (your sister, girlfriend, wife, mom or any family members') nude pics on the internet? I can bet on that you would sue the **** outta that person. Do you still feel that there shouldn't be limits to free speech?

As an Iranian I can not open www.google.com, so this is pretty much legit, and SAD!
Anyways I won't be staying in this godforsaken land for much longer.
These *****s here are driving me crazy, I gotta get out before I lose my mind.
Or before I'm forced to fight people I don't want to, and fight for people I don't see any worth fighting for.
I'm pretty much a soldier right now...

I find it interesting that some cultures can't handle free speech.
In my point of view, your so called "Free Speech" should have limits. If it hurts somebody then it shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances. Let's take an example of yourself. What if somebody starts posting your (your sister, girlfriend, wife, mom or any family members') nude pics on the internet? I can bet on that you would sue the **** outta that person. Do you still feel that there shouldn't be limits to free speech?
Free Speech does have limits, you can say anything you want but certain things have consequences along with them. You can go right ahead and yell fire in a crowded building but you can be sure that you are going to jail and will be brought up on charges for inciting a riot and endangering the public. The whole reason for freedom of speech is to be able to state your opinion without the government or other ruling bodies sending you to jail or censoring you just cause they don't agree with you and that should be protected. BTW posting another persons picture without their permission is not protected under free speech but is considered a violation of privacy. You need to learn what Free Speech actually means before you start saying it shouldn't be allowed or should have limits since you seem to be confused on what it actually is.

Good thing there are no other search engines...

As for the (presumably) Americans talking about free speech, clearly you have (way) more rights than Iran, but America doesn't have free speech anymore either.

French guy makes a terribly tasted movie and posts it on you tube. So the Islamic community riot and Iranians ban Google? This makes a lot of sense to me.

Deleting posts about free speech, ironic. But it is Techspot, I should know better than to post my opinion. Techspot is like Fox News. Oh well, it is what it is.

Finally now I can tease my shia iranian friends in Iran. "haha, I have more freedom than you now, hussein lovers".

I am a true muslim from Saudi Arabia by the way. Not like the mutah loving Iranians.

Shia Iranian cowards ! I bet 200% they disconnect from the Internet because many TRUE muslims can proves their beloved Assad is killing muslims, and that TRUE Islam does not teach to insults Aisha, Umar (ra), Abu Bakr (ra), Yazid (ra), Uthman (ra).

ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY FROM THE INTERNET Iran ??? COWARDS. Face us like a man. TRUTH hurts too much for you ?

Iranian government banning the Internet ? Just like their ally North Korea. Ck ck ck ck. And you still call yourself as the beacon of freedom in the middle east ?

Hussein (lanat munafiq usurper) would be ashamed !, praise Yazid (ra, may Allah's blessing be bountiful to him that is being insulted by the spreaders of lies and fitnah).

Down down with Assad !

Free Speech does have limits, you can say anything you want but certain things have consequences along with them. You can go right ahead and yell fire in a crowded building but you can be sure that you are going to jail and will be brought up on charges for inciting a riot and endangering the public. The whole reason for freedom of speech is to be able to state your opinion without the government or other ruling bodies sending you to jail or censoring you just cause they don't agree with you and that should be protected. BTW posting another persons picture without their permission is not protected under free speech but is considered a violation of privacy. You need to learn what Free Speech actually means before you start saying it shouldn't be allowed or should have limits since you seem to be confused on what it actually is.

My point is that, due to "that" stupid film, many innocent people have lost their lives just for nothing, so there should always be limits to not touch the sensitive topics. If we want and respect the free speech then we should also respect the personal belief of somebody and let it live the life he or she wants. If you don't like a particular person then ignore him/her. Bombarding somebody with stones will surely result in a response of equal or overwhelming strength.

Finally now I can tease my shia iranian friends in Iran. "haha, I have more freedom than you now, hussein lovers".

I am a true muslim from Saudi Arabia by the way. Not like the mutah loving Iranians.

I guess you posted it before that this is tech spot not the Fox News so it's better that we shouldn't start a war over religion. What do you say :) ?

My point is that, due to "that" stupid film, many innocent people have lost their lives just for nothing, so there should always be limits to not touch the sensitive topics. If we want and respect the free speech then we should also respect the personal belief of somebody and let it live the life he or she wants. If you don't like a particular person then ignore him/her. Bombarding somebody with stones will surely result in a response of equal or overwhelming strength.
I do not see how you can blame a video for stupid people (I don't care what god you worship, stupid is stupid) killing people. Each person is responsible for their own actions so blame the killings on the killers not on some video. I do not think that a belief should be respected but that what a person does with that belief is where respect should come from and someone who kills just cause you don't agree with their belief doesn't deserve respect.

The fact that someone chooses to get offended and riot and then kill people is their problem, not ours.
The worse thing that could happen to us is religious censorship.
Anyone can believe in anything their numbers doe not give them any protection, by giving religion protection you automatically give protection to any made up religion or cult.
believing in spaghetti monster is equal to believing in Muhammad or Jesus.

The only protection from freedom of speech is PERSONAL and always INDIVIDUAL, like I cant go to newspapers and call you pedophile and ruin your image.

If you brainwashed to the extreme level of that the guy that made the movie is responsible for all the dead people, not the raging savages then you have a serious problem with your moral compass.

Back