Iran blocks Google due to video controversy, readies own Internet

By Rick
Sep 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. According to Reuters, Google's search and Gmail services have been blocked from public view in Iran. Tehran officials say these latest additions to Iran's web filter are the result of a much publicized anti-Islamic video called "Innocence of Muslims". The...

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Sweeeeeet!! Always wanted to surf the Iranet.
    tehbanz likes this.
  3. gplayersv

gplayersv Newcomer, in training

I just lold :))
    No worries, we'll go make our own internet :))
  4. Neojt

Neojt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 135   +9

WOW this is so wrong

but hum where do you think theyll get there blue prints for various purposes from now ?
  5. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

I find it interesting that some cultures can't handle free speech.
  6. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 488   +75

More like regions, the entire middle east.
  7. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 514   +95

Exactly! We'll make our own internet! with blackjack and hookers! In fact..forget the internet!
    spydercanopus likes this.
  8. Opus

Opus Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

In my point of view, your so called "Free Speech" should have limits. If it hurts somebody then it shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances. Let's take an example of yourself. What if somebody starts posting your (your sister, girlfriend, wife, mom or any family members') nude pics on the internet? I can bet on that you would sue the **** outta that person. Do you still feel that there shouldn't be limits to free speech?
  9. Opus

I never knew Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet with the idea of blackjacks and hookers in mind.
  10. Twixtea

Twixtea Newcomer, in training Posts: 87

As an Iranian I can not open www.google.com, so this is pretty much legit, and SAD!
    Anyways I won't be staying in this godforsaken land for much longer.
    These *****s here are driving me crazy, I gotta get out before I lose my mind.
    Or before I'm forced to fight people I don't want to, and fight for people I don't see any worth fighting for.
    I'm pretty much a soldier right now...
  11. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 329   +56

Free Speech does have limits, you can say anything you want but certain things have consequences along with them. You can go right ahead and yell fire in a crowded building but you can be sure that you are going to jail and will be brought up on charges for inciting a riot and endangering the public. The whole reason for freedom of speech is to be able to state your opinion without the government or other ruling bodies sending you to jail or censoring you just cause they don't agree with you and that should be protected. BTW posting another persons picture without their permission is not protected under free speech but is considered a violation of privacy. You need to learn what Free Speech actually means before you start saying it shouldn't be allowed or should have limits since you seem to be confused on what it actually is.

12. Camikazi

That is a Futurama quote BTW, Bender said it actually :p
  13. Good thing there are no other search engines...

As for the (presumably) Americans talking about free speech, clearly you have (way) more rights than Iran, but America doesn't have free speech anymore either.
  14. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

And some people still defend the actions of Iran??
  15. French guy makes a terribly tasted movie and posts it on you tube. So the Islamic community riot and Iranians ban Google? This makes a lot of sense to me.
  16. Deleting posts about free speech, ironic. But it is Techspot, I should know better than to post my opinion. Techspot is like Fox News. Oh well, it is what it is.
  17. Finally now I can tease my shia iranian friends in Iran. "haha, I have more freedom than you now, hussein lovers".

I am a true muslim from Saudi Arabia by the way. Not like the mutah loving Iranians.
  18. Shia Iranian cowards ! I bet 200% they disconnect from the Internet because many TRUE muslims can proves their beloved Assad is killing muslims, and that TRUE Islam does not teach to insults Aisha, Umar (ra), Abu Bakr (ra), Yazid (ra), Uthman (ra).

ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY FROM THE INTERNET Iran ??? COWARDS. Face us like a man. TRUTH hurts too much for you ?

19. Iranian government banning the Internet ? Just like their ally North Korea. Ck ck ck ck. And you still call yourself as the beacon of freedom in the middle east ?

Hussein (lanat munafiq usurper) would be ashamed !, praise Yazid (ra, may Allah's blessing be bountiful to him that is being insulted by the spreaders of lies and fitnah).

Down down with Assad !
  20. Opus

Got that ;)
  21. Opus

My point is that, due to "that" stupid film, many innocent people have lost their lives just for nothing, so there should always be limits to not touch the sensitive topics. If we want and respect the free speech then we should also respect the personal belief of somebody and let it live the life he or she wants. If you don't like a particular person then ignore him/her. Bombarding somebody with stones will surely result in a response of equal or overwhelming strength.
  22. Opus

I guess you posted it before that this is tech spot not the Fox News so it's better that we shouldn't start a war over religion. What do you say :) ?
  23. Camikazi

I do not see how you can blame a video for stupid people (I don't care what god you worship, stupid is stupid) killing people. Each person is responsible for their own actions so blame the killings on the killers not on some video. I do not think that a belief should be respected but that what a person does with that belief is where respect should come from and someone who kills just cause you don't agree with their belief doesn't deserve respect.
  24. The fact that someone chooses to get offended and riot and then kill people is their problem, not ours.
    The worse thing that could happen to us is religious censorship.
    Anyone can believe in anything their numbers doe not give them any protection, by giving religion protection you automatically give protection to any made up religion or cult.
    believing in spaghetti monster is equal to believing in Muhammad or Jesus.

The only protection from freedom of speech is PERSONAL and always INDIVIDUAL, like I cant go to newspapers and call you pedophile and ruin your image.

If you brainwashed to the extreme level of that the guy that made the movie is responsible for all the dead people, not the raging savages then you have a serious problem with your moral compass.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.