IrfanView (Quick photo editing question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MartinJK

Hello.
Recently I have been trying out the digital camera. The digital camera I currently own makes pictures at minimum of 1024x768 resolution. I figured that the pictures at that resolution are a little too big in scale to be efficiently posted on here. Trying to use IrfanView to scale down the pictures from 1024x768 to 800x600. However, the resampled pictures at 800x600 are bigger in file size (from around 130KB to around 350KB) than the higher resolution counterparts. Both are Jpeg files. Now, the only thing I change in IrfanView - aside from the resolution of the original picture - (for those who are fimiliar with the program) is while saving the resized picture I slide the 'picture quality' from 80% to 100%. I figure this would a impact of the file size, however like I stated earlier, should the edited 800x600 picture be twice as big as the original 1024x768 picure?
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your time. :giddy:

~Martin

hmm.. good question.. when resizing from 1024 to 800 it should go down in file size.. and changing the quality does increase the size, but that is compared to 800x600 80% with 800x600 100%.... maybe the colours on your pic that is causing u to bump up the file size or it could be how you saved it (format options-> baseline/progressive etc) or resized it.

Sorry if i answered a bit general but im unfamiliar with irfanview.. as i use photoshop for all my imgs
N3051M

Try changing the resize method filter to one of the faster ones. I'm not sure that affects the ending file size or not.

I would guess that you could save it as 80% quality and smaller, and you wouldn't be able to tell much if any of a difference.

Yes, the JPEG file size increases dramatically when you set the quality over 75-80-90. That's why 80 is the defailt in most programs - it's the sweet spot where you get good compression and decent image quality. Depending on the picture content a 100% quality image can take several times the space of a 80% one.

Some samples here: http://moat.nlanr.net/JPEGCompr/

Try to compress your image in IrfanView as jpeg progressive, 80-85% quality, and let us know what's the result. I find 85% to be great. Who wants more quality uses .raw format or .tiff with zip/lzw compression.

You may also want to check the jpeg compression settings of your camera, to get a better idea of what's going on with the IrfanView file size problem.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back