TechSpot

iRobot launches new Roomba 880 with improved brushes and 50 percent more suction

By Shawn Knight
Nov 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. iRobot on Tuesday launched the Roomba 880, the newest member of the Roomba vacuum family. The latest hockey puck-shaped robot is said to feature the biggest technology innovation since the first Roomba rolled off the assembly line more than a...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,947   +381

I swear this thing would scare the crap out of me if I were living by myself...sitting quietly and doing something, then a vacuum parks under your feet and turns itself on....

3. abysal

abysal TS Member Posts: 68   +10

So it sucks 50% more!?

4. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +64

I have the 770 and love the thing... I've affectionately named it "GLaDOS" and it's made a big difference, should it ever die I guess I'll be upgrading. :)

VitalyT likes this.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

$700 for a vacuum cleaner??? Thanks. I'll stick with the good old fashioned Hoover. It's far simpler, far less to go wrong and most importantly, far cheaper. These things never work as advertised anyway.

6. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,929   +569

I saw a version of it from couple generations back, and according to the owner it worked just fine. I was thinking of buying one, but thought may be I should give it more time to polish the product. I think they may just have. I'll just wait for the first reviews to make the final decision.

7. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 233   +53

That is a very effective commercial. I am tempted to get one...

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

I have been fascinated with these things for years. They are just so awesome! They dont justify the $500-$700 price tag though IMO.

9. Droymond

Droymond TS Rookie

Believe me, these little robot cleaners are worth the money. Our first LG Roboking $600 is beyond belief. I used the traditional vacuum to clean one section consisting of 8 rooms. I set Roboking free just to watch what it would do, not expecting it to collect any dust after the big cleanup. Amazingly there was heaps of dust, fluff and hair in the collection bin. Running Roboking every second or third day yields the same results. My research indicates 3 top models. LG Roboking, Samsung Navibot and iRobot Roomba. I chose Roboking for 2 reasons. 1. Lithium Polymer battery 3-5 years life compared to 1 year for Nickel Metal Hydride (personal experience with power tools). 2. Sealed dust bin that lifts out the top. Other models have a draw that can spill dirt back onto the floor.

10. I love my Roomba but it's about worn out. I looked to see about getting a new one and the price was outrageous! I bet this one won't be cheap either. I will probably have to do without.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.