IRQs and DPCs consuming 90% of CPU time

By giannisk
Aug 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My computer (Compaq Presario 2500, win xp-sp3) experiences some serious speed problems.
    It delays at boot time. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to complete it. Lunching of applications is tedious, sometimes 5-10 minutes, and execution and switching between applications is really slow. Process Explorer indicates that IRQs and DPCs consume up to 90%of cpu time.
    At arbitrary times it crushes just freezing or with a screen that says that it has to shutdown because of a serious problem.

Please help me to resolve these problems.
    Thank you in advance.
    Giannis
  2. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Assuming you have scanned for malware, I would suggest a system file scan, using "sfc /scannow" &/or "chkdsk" from a command prompt, if no good a repair install of xp, if you can get hold of a disk. Otherwise, might be looking at hardware failure (could try reseating RAM too?)
    Hope this helps. :)
  3. giannisk

giannisk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi Zoltan,
    I can't run sfc since I don't have a xp disk handy. Laptop came with xp installed and a few Recovering Disks that install everything from scratch . I'll try to find an originall xp disk. I'm trying chkdsk. It is very time consuming....
    Thank you for your suggestions. I'll come back with the results.
  4. giannisk

giannisk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Well,
    digging the internet I found a small utility that cures the problem. http://winhlp.com/node/10.
    Anyone interested can download and use this. It seems that it works. At least my old computer is usable again.

Giannis

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.