TechSpot

Irregular BSOD only during Windows switching off

By tgeryk
Apr 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I add some minidumps to help find a root cause, because all my activities by now didn't lead to success. If this is a driver issue i would like to know which driver it is. Then i can run another round of tests to solve it.

What i did by now:
    - check disk (no issue)
    - all drivers update (last versions)
    - MemTest (after 24 hours run no issue)
    - Pagefile check (no change)
    ... and all other mentioned in "Before posting your minidumps, please read this" post

My configuration:
    LENOVO ThinkPad W500
    Model: 406333G
    WinXP Pro SP3

Attached Files:

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

I only just had the time to run through the last minidump which only names windows drivers which are unlikely to be the root cause of the BSOD.

You can run driver verifier to isolate any faulty drivers as follows:

I would also try, if you have more than one memory module, running the PC with only one module installed and see if the problem persists, then swap to another module. Memtest can miss minor faults.

3. tgeryk

tgeryk TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tried all you mentioned, but without any visible issue. PC booted normally, but was slow like hell. More than 60% of processor took "Deferred Procedure Calls" service. After I "Delete Existing Settings" in Verified driver manager speed returned to normal.
    By now i did one more change. I'm not sure on 100% but i think that those BSOD could started more or less at same time when support changed my broken disk. It's some half year back. So i today also updated harddisk firmware. I will monitor if that help.

4. Mark56

From what you have just said about the new drive install I would check that you have all the correct and up to date drivers for your motherboard. They should be available from the PC's manufacturers site.

Do you try the check on the memory as I suggested, running the PC with justy one module? Or does it only have one?

5. tgeryk

I'm runing on latest driversa and I have only one memory module. Also tried to change it for another. Unfortunately i have two fresh minidumps from today - two different blue screens.

Kod chyby 000000c2, parametr1 00000007, parametr2 00000cd4, parametr3 142b0600, parametr4 e1494008.

Kod chyby 1000008e, parametr1 c0000005, parametr2 bf2bf72f, parametr3 a1a92638, parametr4 00000000.

2nd error (last one) had on bluescreen mentioned some ati*.dll file. That maybe shows on graphics driver, but that one i checked many times.

Attached Files:

6. Mark56

7. tgeryk

I will work on it, but those two crashes were during a gaming when i tried switch from game screen to windows desktop. I have here one more dump file - fresh from yesterday. This one happened during windows switching off.

Kategorie události: (102)
    ID události: 1003
    Datum: 13.4.2011

Kod chyby 1000008e, parametr1 c0000005, parametr2 8b131cac, parametr3 ba287bbc, parametr4 00000000.

Attached Files:

8. Mark56

That dump only names windows drivers. Follow this guide to check for any information that may help in the Event Viewer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

You did not answer this question from post 4.