Is 2.0 dual core equal to Pentium 4 3.2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new here and have little knowledge about how computers work. I've been trying to figure this out for myself and am getting confused and frustrated.
I'm pretty sure my question has been answered via another thread on this forum that I found during a web search but want to be certain.
I have done some searches and am coming up with conflicting info..
I plan on purchasing a HD camcorder and the system requirements call for a Pentium 4 3.2ghz processor. My current PC has much less than that so i will need another.
My question is,will a 2.0 dual core work instead of a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz?
Some of the info I've come across says yes and some says no.
Many Thanks,,I sure appreciate the help from you knowledgeable folks here.

A 2.0 dual core will do anything a Pentium 4 will do and more so yes, it will work for your purpose. I suggest a 3.0 ghz + dual core.

let me understand you correctly- you're asking if the camera takes a chip or if the camera requires a system of at least a pentium 4 to process the photos / videos?

I have not heard of a camera where you swap out the cpu so it must be the latter.

A pentium 4 is a VERY old cpu and most dual core CPUs are relatively new. In fact tri and quad core cpus have been out for awhile now as well.

So the answer to your question is roughly "yes" but cpus are all different and require different motherboards. There are many other factors at play - to include the design of the motherboard you place the cpu in, the amount and type of ram, video card (GPU chip) performance, and your video processing software requirements. Moreover, different cpus may or may not be interchangable with motherboards. AMD brand CPUs do not fit on Intel type motherboards and vice versa. Each have their advantages and drawbacks. AMD offers great price to performance ratios wheras Intel goes for high end and speed processing - generally at much greater financial costs.

After a certain point, CPU speed becomes irrelevant as much video processing is taken up by the GPU - graphics processing chip located on your graphics board or in low end systems on an integrated chip on your motherboard (generally poor to low performance at low $ cost).

Yes. A Core2Duo 2.0 or better will be fine. In fact, what you have now will probably work, it will just work slowly.

If you take video in HD, the problem you will have with a slow computer is just unable to play it back smoothly, which could make making edits painful. But as far as any actual physical limitation there really isn't one. You could process HD video on a machine from the mid 90s if you had the patience and hard drive space.

Thankyou for you responses.
Yes,Tedster,it is the latter.
There is one other thing in the requirements that I just noticed which I have no idea as to what it means,Direct X 9.0c or above?

Directx 9.0c is a sort of microsoft driver for your graphics.

The best way to test what version you have is by typing "dxdiag" in the run box in your start menu.. it will tell you what version you have at the moment.

Dont worry if its too low.. try to update your direct x drivers by simply typing directx update in to google. :)

If its still to low after update you may need a newer graphics card unfortunatley.

Hope this helps :)

Directx 9.0c is a sort of microsoft driver for your graphics.

The best way to test what version you have is by typing "dxdiag" in the run box in your start menu.. it will tell you what version you have at the moment.

Dont worry if its too low.. try to update your direct x drivers by simply typing directx update in to google. :)

If its still to low after update you may need a newer graphics card unfortunatley.

Hope this helps :)

Yes,this information is very helpful. Thankyou,I'm learning things I didn't know about computers already and I want to learn more. I believe that this is the place to do so.
The information that I was finding that said a dual core would not work was saying that a dual core was good for running multiple programs at the same time but that it was not sufficient to run a program which required a faster processor.
Thankyou for clearing up this mis-information. I really appreciate it. I have asked questions on forums before and recieved no responses. Thankyou for being so friendly and helpful,Knowledge is worth very little if not shared.

Clock speed between different processor designs is fairly meaningless.

A Pentium 4 could be viewed like riding a bike with a tiny back wheel, you pedal really fast but your overall progress isn't real quick. A Core2Duo may run at a slower clock speed (pedaling slower) but your back wheel is bigger, so more progress is made per pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back