Is a virus causing my computer to freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRevka

My computer freezes every 10-15 minutes. When the computer freezes I cannot do anything, including opening task manager, except move the mouse. I posted the issue before (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic139160.html), but so far the freezing continues. I am wondering if it is a virus. I have tried malware bytes anti-malware and it found nothing.

I attached a hijack this log.

Attachments

• hijack.txt
    5 KB · Views: 6
John, I went back and read your earlier posts:

1. 6 days ago a "Virus caused me to get the blue screen of death."
2. 4 days ago you reinstalled Windows "because of as BSOD after a virus."
3. You then had an activation problem but resolved that.
4. You later gave instructions to a member to use Malwarebytes to remove Antivirus Pro
5. A day ago, after experiencing system freezes for a week, you replaced the BIOS.
6. You also downloaded "a lot of other drivers."
7. You asked if it could be a heat issue.
8. 20 hours ago you gave someone instructions on reformatting the hard drive "while you have windows enter the OS disc and reinstall from boot process. From msconfig set it up so that your computer runs the cd drive and then proceed to reinstall."
9. Now you're asking if a virus could be causing all these problems.

So it would seem to have come full circle.

My opinion? You may have had a virus originally. But it wasn't removed either completely or correctly so you started fooling around with the system. You raised a heat issue, a BIOS issue, an activation issue, a BSOD issue.

Recommend you take it somewhere and see if anyone can save the system.

I have 3 computers. The computer that got a BSOD from a virus and required activation is different than the computer that continually freezes. Because my activation problem was solved here I decided to post my freezing problems as well. I am most concerned about this freezing problem, because I bought this laptop about two years ago, new. It also has more space on the hard drive than my other computers and is significantly faster.

I actually think now that the problem could be with an audio driver because the audio drivers, although not flagged in device manager as having a problem, does not work. I know this because I cannot hear any sound and when I go to sound and audio devices in control panel, it says, "no audio devices."

For clarification here are the order of events,
1. I installed the BIOS on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page
2. About 30 minutes later, while I was watching a Youtube video, the computer froze and made beeping noises
3. I restarted the computer by holding the power button and proceeded to use the computer. The audio crackled during my use. When the computer crashed 3 more times, I decided to wait until tommorow.
4. The next day the computer continued freezing, so I installed a bunch of other drivers on said Dell page
5. Computer crashes became worse and the audio no longer worked
6. I performed several methods in an attempt to fix the computer, including reformatting the hard drive, reinstalling the new BIOS, removing a bunch of files and programs, and installing windows xp sp3
7. The computer continues crashing at a higher frequency espescially right after installing xp sp3
8. While my brother was using a different computer, he got a virus which caused the computer to get the BSOD and verification problems. But these problems were resolved and that computer no longer has any problems. I also learned how to remove anti-virus pro, so I was able to help another member.
9. I post the freezing problem on TS
10. I was instructed to perform a S.M.A.R.T test and hard drive test, as instructed by another member, and found no problems.
11. I install hijack this and posted this log in a new topic to check whether the problem might be a virus

All this occurred in a period of about 2 weeks

John, when there are multiple threads at the same time by the same person, unless told otherwise at the time, it is common to "assume" it is the same computer. We don't have time to separate operating systems, etc. to determine if it's the same or different systems. But yes, the threads should be separated, but having a note from you for Computer 1,2, or 3 or some other type of distinction.

Since you had several active threads going, all mentioning a virus, you should have clearly stated this this was a different machine:
8. While my brother was using a different computer, he got a virus which caused the computer to get the BSOD and verification problems. But these problems were resolved and that computer no longer has any problems. I also learned how to remove anti-virus pro, so I was able to help another member.

I am naming the system in question Computer 1. All of the problem related to Computer 1 should have been input into the same thread, not all spread out.
Your brother's system is Computer 2 and problem is resolved.

Maybe some of this is for a Computer 3?

But my recommendation is still the same: let a professional with hand-on try to sort thing out. There have been too many problems and you have done too many different things to the system to try and sort it out on an internet computer help board. Malware "could" have caused the original problem, but it is long out of the malware category and into hardware instead.

Sorry.

Sorry if caused confusion, I though that if I didn't create a new thread on the issue, then there would be no more responses.

I also have another question: according to the hijack this logs, do I have a virus on my computer?

John, we don't use an HijackThis log to determine if you have a virus on the computer. That's not it's job. The antivirus program on the system plus a scan with an online AV is best for this.

If you want to do this right:

Name the specific computer in each thread.
For each computer, run the steps we suggest for Virus and Malware Removal HERE>
G ive us the 3 logs for the programs you run, taking care to keep each computer named, each computer in it's own separate thread.

Keep one specifoc thread for posts only related to the designated Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back