TechSpot

Is Amazon starting a price war with Apple?

By Emil
Apr 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has dropped the price of popular new tracks on its online store to $0.69, compared to its usual $0.89 pricepoint. The change, which could signal a price war, was first pointed out by the Los Angeles Times.

Read the whole story

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +919

God, we can only hope.......

3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

This will be great, competition is excellent for us customers. Although I have never bought a single song because neither Amazon nor iTunes Music Store are available in Ecuador.

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

So for you its the pleasure of watching two giants bash each other to oblivion then? :D

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +919

This bring up 2 very obvious questions; how is a price war in the US going to be great for you, (personally). Secondly, if you've never purchased anything from either of these two entities, I don't think you get to rank yourself among the actual customers. I'm just sayin'. Things such as this occur to me, I've tried to prevent them, and yet....... Would you be willing to compromise and substitute, "for consumers", in lieu of, "us customers"? :rolleyes:

6. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 365   +49

yay price war. I want to see one. I haven't in awhile.

7. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 409   +37

This is good news... I think i'll be buying a lot more mp3s. I still think 30 to 40 cents is about my optimal price point, but 70 is definately moving in the right direction.

I think Amazon needs to do some advertising, I didn't know they sold mp3s until I heard from a friend. No one else I know knew Amazon sold mp3s. Part of the problem is Apple had the mp3 market since they released the iPod. Amazon needs to fight hard to get at least half of the market.

8. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Well I've bought electronics on Amazon and apps on iTunes, so technically I'm their customer.

9. The whole point is... Amazon want Apple's music customer!!!

10. YES blow apple and Sony out of the ****in' water and light them on fire! They deserve to be destroyed and sell iPhone to Microsoft for better os and open source! And wipe out terrible 2500$ laptop only worth 300$ then take the ps3 add decent security and make it a GOOD console.

11. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Way to go amazon(and apple)..! :)

12. LightHeart

LightHeart TS Rookie Posts: 155

I've been buying my MP3's from Amazon for quite some time and found it to be a great experience. Now that some songs will be even cheaper is really nice.

13. People still BUY music?

Ok.

I didn't know it was still 1998

Torrents..... learn them, live them, love them!

14. @Guest: Do you work for free or are you paid? Stealing is wrong and karma is a good teacher.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.