Is Apple paying people to diss Windows 8 on tech sites?

ET3D

Obviously many people's Windows 8 concerns are legitimate, and I don't mean to imply that everyone who's posting against Windows 8 isn't legit, but I've seen some posts lately where people talked about moving to Apple because of Windows 8, and that just didn't make sense.

One case was someone who claimed that he helped a frustrated Acer user throw his (or her, don't remember if it was specified)) Windows 8 laptop in the garbage bin and get a Mac with Windows 7 on it instead. That didn't make any logical sense (just downgrade the Acer).

Another post was of someone who claimed to know 12 people who moved to Apple because they were frustrated with Windows 8.

These reports just don't make much sense to me, so feel like they're untrue. I can't believe they are made by Windows users, even Windows 8 haters, since these usually go for the "Windows 7 is best" line. So I imagine that they are either Apple users trolling or people being paid to do that.

What do you think?

Probably both. I am really skeptical of Apple, and am not really a fan because of the methods in which they work. I recently built a new PC with a budget of £1000 to £1500, and bought Win7 instead of Win8 with it because I don't like the new OS interface. If Windows users move to a Mac, it is again a new interface (not as good as Windwos 7) so it contradicts them moving to Mac, especially in the scenario you mentioned with the Acer user. Finally, the Apple computers are worth less than the price that was charged. You can pick up a new £1000 Apple PC, or a £500-£800 PC with the same specifications. I have to use Macs at work, and even though they are only 1/2 years old, and Run the Apple OS, they are much slower than our £600, dual core desktop that is around 4/5, even 6 years old!

I can't see that it matters. As far as desktop computers are concerned they reign largely because of the silly prices of Macs but Microsoft are really up against it in the world of tablets. Prices of the Surface and Windows 8 touchscreen laptops are pitched way too high for Microsoft to make any inroads. Some questionable decisions have been made and Microsoft are out of their depth. Although I've yet to buy my first tablet it's not looking likely that it will be running Windows 8. A year ago I'd have said there was a strong possibility that my first purchase would do so. I have Windows 8 running on a desktop but have no strong feelings about it. Microsoft did get it right allowing an introductory special price after launch but that's about as far as it goes. They need to get their act together fast - like yesterday.

Back