TechSpot

Is Backing Up Necessary?

By Knot2Brite
Aug 4, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I just got a new computer which is in a RAID. I am told that everything on C is copied onto a mirror drive so if C fails I can run off of the other drive. (Of course, I'd quickly replace C).

Do I still need to backup?

Are there certain files to backup?

Thanks
  2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,344   +49

Of course you need to backup - a Raid array just makes it far less likely that a single HDD failure will stop you. It won't (a) protect you against malware fouling up your PC, (b) stop an electrical fault damaging both your drives, (c) put out a house fire, (d) trip up a thief as he departs with your PC.

In short, backups protect against many sources of failure, Raid protects against just one, and not a particularly likely one at that.

Are there certain files.....yes, the whole operating system and installed applications.
  3. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

thanks for your thoughts
  4. old101

old101 TS Rookie Posts: 52

Lots of Web services available for off-site backup storage, although I am not a fan of them. They are more likely target of attack than a home computer, in my opinion.
    I am a fan of external HD storage for images of my C drive and Data folders. They are inexpensive, and can be easily locked in a safe place, or even taken with you when you travel.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.