Is CCleaner as thorough as Revo Uninstaller?

Lou3

I use Revo Uninstaller because it removes every last remnant of a program. Is CCleaner's uninstall utility as thorough?

I have found that it is. The only exception is anything Norton because it takes using their special Removal Tool to be throughly removed from a system.

Total Uninstallers

In the last comparison test of free uninstallers I saw, which was over 2 years ago in the German computer mag CHIP, Revo came first and CCleaner fourth. But matters don’t stay static in the field, so I can’t tell you what the situation is today.

However, I can tell you that none of the uninstallers that come “after the event” can do a thorough job without leaving any traces behind, while their advanced setting also entails some risks of deleting other stuff.

For a complete uninstall, you need a premium product, which records all registry changes during installation of an app, so that it can totally reverse them later in a safe manner. It may even re-install the app, if you decide you needed it after all. Right now, I only remember Ashampoo Uninstaller as one example of such a program, there are others, none of them free, as far as I know.

http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/1003/System_Utilities/Ashampoo-UnInstaller-4

Back