Is Cisco 1721 good for studying CCNA/CCNP?

I would like to get maybe a few Cisco routers and switches to help with my CCNA and later CCNP study. Would Cisco 1720 or 1721 be a good buy for my purpose?

Price-wise I can maybe get three 1720 and three cheap Cisco switches. But the product page at Cisco.com says 1720 support only OSPF. It doesn't support EIGRP. Can this be a problem for my study of other routing protocols?

Should I get a different Cisco router that supports more routing protocols?

Save your money & look into an emulator. http://www.gns3.net/ should get you going in the right direction. You'll have to google some things, and find cisco ios out on the web somewhere, but it's a great way to learn & not have to fork over thousands of dollars to buy the physical equipment to learn on for the certification. hope this helps!

I agree with the above.

Also, I highly recommend purchasing the Premium Edition ebook of the Official Cert Guide. You'll get an exam engine that emulates the actual exam and has thousands of questions covering the CCNA syllabus, along with the eBook; it'll help you properly prepare for the kind of questions you can expect in the real exam.
It's not too expensive either, and I've used it to successfully pass my CCENT exam.
It also comes with an okay-ish Network Simulator, as well as some videos.

Back