Is cold cathode lighting bad?

By djspan101
Apr 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi all,
    I need to know asap if cold cathode lighting is bad. I have seen in several other forums the inverters burning and I dont want to fry my PC. any help would be great,
    thanks.
    dan
    :)
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Just use a little common sence and locate the inverters away from items, like wires and cables and plastics
  3. djspan101

djspan101 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 45

ok thanks I have place the inverter in the bottom left hand side of the case away from the mobo
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Good work Dan,
    how do the lights look? What color(s) did you choose?
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

Insulation is far more important than location. Use heavy duty PVC insulation tape to insulate the inverter from any stray wires or PSU connectors, as well as the case and mobo itself (I usually use contractor-grade tape). FYI, inverters can fry the chips on your components fairly easily due to the fact that they are AC-based, so insulate the inverter(s) properly to ensure that nothing gets fried accidentally.

With proper insulation, you do not need to be bothered about where you place the inverter.
  6. djspan101

colours

I used a blue light the case looks really good. It's good to know that it's not to bad :D
  7. djspan101

Ok I got some insulating tape from B&Q today and I was wondering whether you meant Insulate the entire inverter with tape (obviously exluding the small vent on top), or if you meant differently,
    thanks,
    Dan :)
  8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,280   +23

I just meant that insulate any possible points of contact with PSU cables or any PCI\PCI-E cards you have in your system (which includes the video card too). That will be sufficient. Also, I advise using double-sided tape between the inverter and the chassis.
  9. djspan101

ok thanks I will get on to that later :D
  10. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I think they're just power-wasters. Looks nice, but whoopee. Of course others have said that it can cause shorts if not routed carefully. If you like this kind of stuff, fine- it's your $. Just make sure everything is insulated and you have adequate power.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.