Is Facebook worth more than Google

Archean

Facebook is the first website to top one trillion page views per month, leading some to speculate that Facebook could be the first company valued at over $1tb.

"Social", not algorithms, is the basis for all human commerce. Facebook owns social. That's got to be really, really big. At least as big as Google, and arguably bigger.

I don't see the $1TB valuation happening any time soon, but the later assertion is perfectly logical, if FB continues to play its cards rightly, one day, it can put Google in pretty awkward place, no wonder Google is continuously trying to cook something up every now and then to counter it, and keep failing. By the way I don't use FB, nor I have any 'personal account' over there :p

Google has a big ace up its sleeve for me: Street view and its map system.

The amount of times i've used Google for its Street View and maps to good effect is amazing. You can pretty much never get lost again with it, and with the amount of work and money it took to set up...you wouldn't think Facebook ever going down a road like that, or at least any time soon.

Google's Map system is good, but there are others which are almost there like Nokia's map solution. Anyway, problem lies with Google's reliance on 'adds' to generate money through algorithms which can never be as good as a word of mouth from someone a person may trust.

Right now, If I were MS I would seriously think about making an alliance with FB, and provide all the missing links to them, e.g. search + maps + entertainment related services etc. Because TBH there isn't any significant difference in search results of Google / Bing / Yahoo, now that MS and Nokia are together, Nokia's tried and tested Map services are right up there with Googles'.

Once Google looses financial edge through inability to generate same levels of add revenue, they will not be the same company as we perceive them to be right now.

For me this strategy make lots of sense, I mean we all know 'enemy of my enemy is my friend'. ;)

I mean we all know 'enemy of my enemy is my friend'.

Yeah, capitalism at is finest ;)

You just know that this venture in to 'social' that Google is taking at the moment (I've forgot the name of it) is gonna be fruitless. They really must be scratching their heads over at Google HQ.

Facebook came at the right time, with the right attitude, and for Google it was nasty. But then again, I can't understand why Google doesn't just stick at what it does best: Search, Maps....Hell, even Gmail (I really like Gmail). Once the market's been cornered by someone, trying to wrestle people away from the the known dominant is seriously hard, and everyone seems to see that except these companies. Millions and millions of dollars go to waste this way.

One day the advertisers are going to wake up and start actually assessing their return on investment, then these b*** s*** valuation numbers will plummet.

Well, we get a trillion hits a day! Should be turned into the question, "so...., what have you sold for me lately".

Personally speaking, I don't have a Facebook account, and all of what I buy online, is from searches initiated by me. So, if anybody's listening, you're pissing your money up a wall at Facebook, at least as far as I"m concerned.

I think people are getting immune to all the "targeted advertising", or using script blocking to get rid of it.

In any event, what you imagine something is worth, and what you can get for it are 2 different things.

There are so many clowns on the web starting these nonsense evaluations of what any given website is worth, they amount to ticks on the a**es of the ticks that are already there.

Personally speaking, I don't have a Facebook account, and all of what I buy online, is from searches initiated by me. So, if anybody's listening, you're pissing your money up a wall at Facebook, at least as far as I"m concerned.

+1, incidentally I don't have a Facebook account, the only one I ever created was for Mathew, who wanted me to vote on something (a picture or a picture of computer, I don't remember honestly).

I think people are getting immune to all the "targeted advertising", or using script blocking to get rid of it.

Exactly, that is why I said that 'word of mouth' is more important in real world. I think almost all tech savvy people I know generate their own searches, for the rest of the goats it is another story.

Mostly in response to Archean's comment about google maps:

I agree, google maps is pretty damn good. But when I read that in the context of the thread it brought to my mind how incredibly bad Bing is with maps. I imagine Bing is great for all of you that live in big cities. But I live in a town of 20,000 and its the largest town BY FAR within 60 miles of here. I went to HS in a town of 2000 and its closest town over 50k is over 2 hours away. If you look at my area (zip code 65401) on Bing or anything that uses Bing (like Weather.com) you will see all kinds of towns show up on the map in the area. But these towns either do not exist anymore, or are so much smaller than their neighbors which are somehow completely left out. I can weather.com my city and then I get a bing map showing Dillon, MO - what?? that town either doesn't exist or is hiding, because I've lived in this area for 16 years now and I've never heard of it. They also show Spring Creek, Big Piney, Oak Hill, Belgrade, and Oak Hill. All of those they show as cities in the area, but they are NOT cities, I've not heard of any of them. Meanwhile they are missing fairly large ones (for the area) like Rolla, Waynesville, Crocker, Richland, Stoutland, St. Robert.

Load up google maps for the area vs weather.com's usage of bing.

I never bothered with Google or Bing Maps, but I have used Ovi Maps in the past, and they seemed okay to me. I think MS will be better off replacing their own map service with Ovi Maps. Anyway it is just my opinion nothing more.

It's Street View what i find to be the cherry on top of Google maps. I just can't find any better alternative, personally.

Back