Is industry moving away from E-mail ?

I noticed that supermarkets in the UK now expect their customers to be on Facebook just to communicate with them, shunning and open standard like email in the process.

I am not on Facebook.

It could be the management tools are better, but I wonder if it's the privacy obligations from government legislation that these big companies are using to push their services. Ironic as it may sound.

But, is this a bad thing, hasn't email just evolved like one bad coat of paint a top of another, shouldn't encrypted IM chat replace it ?

I think its the people who wants to turn away from the email. The main reason for this can be that they expect quicker response from people they do business with. Social Media is something that is used widely by every individual on the face of the planet and that it is more convenient as compared to emails. I know is insecure but this is how it is.

I have noticed how it is very difficult these days to access any sort of customer service from online retailers. Firstly they make you negotiate hundreds of FAQs, then they often suggest you go to their users forum to ask for an answer. This is crazy because the company should be the one to put things right because they are the ones that sold you the item in the first place. They get the profit so should be prepared to earn it. Their customers are being exploited by being expected to do the customer service for them unpaid. Actually trying to get through to the seller would be much better by email for me, and millions of other people who don't do F-book due to privacy issues.

Back