Is it my video card or power supply?

williamsimpson

I have a XFX Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO with 768 MB of Gddr2, with PCI Express 2.0
580 MHZ SLI Ready. It was part of a bare bones system from tiger direct. I had to replace the PSU once and I believe its maybe 430 Watts of Power. I doubt I spent more than 30.00 on the PSU.

When I take my video card out my pc it boots up fine and it runs off the onboard 8200 nvidia. But as soon as I plug in the XFX Nvidia Geforce 9600 GSO and then connect the power from the card to the PSU it shuts off. The whole system just shuts off?? and it wont start again untill I remove the power cord only from the card. Also,, can I use DDR2 instead of GDDR2,,, whats the diff.

Thanks in advance peeps. any help is greatly appreciated.

I could be wrong but it sounds as if the 9600 has shorted out and tripping the PSU internal safeties, which is keeping the system from booting. Personally, I doubt it is the PSU as it functions just fine without the card.

so you don't think the Card is trying to draw to much power from my PSU and shutting it down? If it was would that cause the power to completely go off?

Under normal operating conditions, no I don't. The card only requires a 400W PSU to function under full loads. During boot time, I highly doubt the power ratings are at max. Even if the power ratings were at max, your 430W PSU should be plenty of power.

I sincerely think there is something wrong with the 9600 and the fault is causing the PSU to stay off-line.

Ya I think your right. just needed to hear it!.. Can you suggest a card thats a good replacement.,, Do I need to stick with Gddr2 and do I really need a card that requires its own power supply? I'm not a hard core gamer. I take it I need to stick with PCI Express 2.0 as thats the type of slot?

Do I need to stick with Gddr2 and do I really need a card that requires its own power supply? I'm not a hard core gamer. I take it I need to stick with PCI Express 2.0 as thats the type of slot?
Actually you are not confined to either Gddr2 or PCIe 2.0. Graphics memory is managed internal the card so it is not dependent on any other system factors. PCIe card slot standards are both forward and backward compatible.

Pick a card that is within your budget and check PSU power requirements to make sure it will function with only 430W of power.

If you are not a gamer, may I ask why the on-board 8200 doesn't do the job for you?

thx so much,,,,and yes good question. I guess I just want something better than this onboard 8200 Nvidia, . Would I be gaining much in speed for videos and movies. if I upgrade to something like independent and a little more memory? Im thinking something like a Geforce 1 gig with DDR2 or 3? So it doen;t have to be GDDR2 or 3 Either.... I have a choice Gddr2 or 3,,, and DDR2 or 3?

Any suggestions in regards to one that doesn't need power from the PSU,,,, and I take it I can use a GDDR3 type,,,,, instead of what I had? I take it having 8 Gigs of DDR2 ram plays no roll on what I need for a video card?

Just found my Video card box. It says right on the box.
Non - SLI Min 500 W or greater
SLI - min 600 W greater.....

Now im thinking I was right? Power isn't enough from the PSU and it shuts the system down from even booting up Since I only have 430 W right now?.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4128445&CatId=3670#

The link above is my actual card.
XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready

Maybe a quick way to solve this is to bring into my local computer store and see if the card works in one of their machines
The funny thing is the fan work without the 6 pin power supply connect and a red light turns on... but soon as I put the 6 pin power supply into the socket,,, NOTHING.

If you are looking for a replacement, I'd recommend getting this card; avoid the similarly-priced GT 6xx series, since they're pretty much rehashes of the old Fermi GPUs, and the HD 6570 is the best where price and performance are considered.

Back