Is it possible to connect a second wireless router to the same network?

donthaveacow

Hey guys, currently I have a modem and wireless router next to the family desktop, but the signal is not strong enough for me to get wireless internet on my laptop at the opposite end of the house (where my room is :()

I borrowed a friends signal boosting aerial (can't remember the model sorry) to test out whether that helped, but the signal was still not strong enough and faded out alot.

I would like to purchase a gaming desktop for my room to play online games, so was wondering if it is possible to connect a second wireless router in a different location in the house so that the range covers the whole house? The outcome I am searching for here is that I can plug this gaming desktop directly into the second router and use my laptop wirelessly anywhere in the house. Is this possible? Could you also recommend a good "G" router? I don't need a really expensive one with a heap of features either, just a good reliable signal.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm not sure how well I explained what I was after so just left me know if anything needs clarifying :)

Does setting it up like this sound good to you guys that are more knowledgeable than me?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4527815_two-routers-one-home-network.html

you want
Code:
modem===router#1 - - - - wifi - - - - router#2-----gaming system
this is called a BRIDGE connection and usually only available with an Access Point, and infrequently in routers.

Of course you know that gaming is intensive and WiFi is restrictive. A wired connection,
perhaps via the attic, would give better results.

From that link as far as I understand it, would a setup like this work?

1. Leave the modem/router (A) that are by the family desktop connected as they are.
2. Get a second wifi router (B) for my room.
3. Run an ethernet cable in the ceiling from a LAN port on router A to a LAN port on router B.
4. Set the ip address of router A to be x.x.x.1 and router B to be x.x.x.2, turn off DHCP on router B, and set the start value of the range of IP addresses that router A hands out to be x.x.x.3
5. Make sure everything else such as SSID, security type etc. is the same on both routers and set one to channel 6 and another to channel 11

Does this sound correct?

VERY GOOD!

two nits:
4) do not set the IP address on router B,
DO disable the DHCP service on B
leave the DHCP range on A to something like 2-20

5) SSID on A & B do NOT need to be the same
(suggest and A/B suffix to the A ssid to make sure you know which is which)
You may use the same PassPhrase.

DO change the channel numbers as far apart as possible

VERY GOOD!

two nits:
4) do not set the IP address on router B,
DO disable the DHCP service on B
leave the DHCP range on A to something like 2-20

5) SSID on A & B do NOT need to be the same
(suggest and A/B suffix to the A ssid to make sure you know which is which)
You may use the same PassPhrase.

DO change the channel numbers as far apart as possible

jobeard I thought that if I didn't set the IP on router B then it will default to x.x.x.1, but doesn't it have to be different to the IP of router A which will also be x.x.x.1? I think I'm misunderstanding something.

Thanks for letting me know the SSID and password don't need to be the same, someone else told me they do :( makes it easier to manage this way!

jobeard I thought that if I didn't set the IP on router B then it will default to x.x.x.1, but doesn't it have to be different to the IP of router A which will also be x.x.x.1? I think I'm misunderstanding something.
Router B, which connected upstream via lan-lan slots, is no longer acting as a router but rather as a switch. Router A will provide all DHCP addressing and the gateway address will be that of Router A and all systems will be in one subnet regardless of which router they actually connect to.

Back