Is it possible to put OS on USB hard drive?

By learninmypc
May 14, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. This thought has been floating in my mind for months so I'd like to know this.
    I have a 465gb Verbatim USB flashdrive & an XP Pro OS CD.
    Is there anyway to put the OS on the USB flashdrive so I can use it on an HP laptop that has a fried hdd?
    Of course I'd have to try to change the boot up order from hdd to usb but if this aint possible,no biggie.TIA:)
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,073   +1,181

Yes you can but unless you have a USB 3.0 connection and a fast flash drive you will suffer from slow IO rates.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 4,566   +184

Thanks.:)
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +215

5. learninmypc

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,073   +1,181

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to imply it would be easy.
  7. learninmypc

Thats ok, some easy tasks are hard for others. Its just nice to not have that ? mark floating in my head,lol. :)
  8. alexe3831

alexe3831 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

While it isnt easy, and yes there will be slow I/O rates without USB 3.0, I have found having a external hard drive with an OS on it is handy for recovering data from computers, also, if you cant remember your password for example, you can use the alternate example.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.