TechSpot

Is it possible to run games tat run on say win2000 to run on XP?

By batigoal
Mar 10, 2008
  1. hi, is it possible to run a game say Alien vs. Predator 2 which runs on win2000 (directX 8) to run on the XP?

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,267   +92

Virtually the same OS, should be fine.

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Even if you do have a problem, you can try changing the compatibility mode to run the game in XP.

4. Acclamator

Acclamator TS Rookie Posts: 261

Window XP is based on Windows 2000 so you should have, at most, very limited and fixable problems.

5. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

AVP2 works for sure. I have friends who have played it on XP, without trouble.

6. batigoal

batigoal TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 58

thanks for the replies. but i stil do have problems installing the game..when the setup reaches 100% it always face a major problem and then terminates the setup.. can some1 roughly tell me how to convert the game to run on XP? thanks

7. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,267   +92

What errors are you given? See anything in the Event Viewer?

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

8. batigoal

problem solved! thanks guys =D

9. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

Do you mind explaining how you fixed it, just so that anybody that needs help will have it without asking?

10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Also, your actual problem seemed to be installing the game not running the game. You should have asked about that in the first post.

11. batigoal

oh sorry coz i'm afraid this might be the wrong section to ask bout games so i asked on windows compatibility instead. yes it was problems installing the game ><

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.