Is it recommended to use a notebook HDD on a desktop computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi all,

A very good friend of mine offered me this hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145180

It's a Hitachi Travelstar 7k200 2.5" SATA HDD.... It has 16MB cache and a 7200 RPM speed.
My current drive is a WD Caviar SE 8MB cache and 7200RPM speed, so that notebook HDD should be quicker, am I right?

Since its SATA, I'm thinking about buying it and use it as my primary HDD on my desktop computer......

Is this possible to do? Im mostly sure I can use normal SATA data and power cables to connect it to my motherboard, right?

So do you recommend it? (My friend asked me only 20 bucks for it, and yes, the HDD is new :))

Thanks =)

Yes, that is possible. The connections are standard and work with desktops (finally...)

Even though it is 7200 RPM and has 16MB of cache, it WILL be substantially slower than your current drive. Throughput from most notebook drives are somewhere around half that of equivalent desktop drives. You may or may not notice much of a difference though, depending on how you use your computer.

Despite the slower performance - on the plus side - it will be more quiet and generate less heat. :)

wolfram said:
Hi all,

A very good friend of mine offered me this hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145180

It's a Hitachi Travelstar 7k200 2.5" SATA HDD.... It has 16MB cache and a 7200 RPM speed.
My current drive is a WD Caviar SE 8MB cache and 7200RPM speed, so that notebook HDD should be quicker, am I right?

Since its SATA, I'm thinking about buying it and use it as my primary HDD on my desktop computer......

Is this possible to do? Im mostly sure I can use normal SATA data and power cables to connect it to my motherboard, right?

So do you recommend it? (My friend asked me only 20 bucks for it, and yes, the HDD is new :))

Thanks =)

Yes some computer clone companies like CTX did that back in the 1990's here installed 2.5 HDD 1GB into their desktops. It will work just make sure you have the right adapter for it. IDE 2.5 to 3.5 adapter uses the same power plug. Just have to get the one for SATA 2.5 to 3.5 adapter.

with an adapter you can certainly use it without issues. Notebook drives tend to run a tad slower, but also cooler. Have fun!

Wow guys Im so sorry for not replying lol, but thanks a lot for your posts. Unfortunately I was not able to grab one of those HDD's :( They were out of stock......

Hmm I guess it's time for a WD 250GB drive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back