Is it the motherboard or power supply?

pioneerx01

I am working on my aunts PC (HP slimline), again! This time it will not turn on, seems relatively easy problem. I press a power button and exactly nothing happens, not even PSU fan spins. I do not have a tester for FLEX PSU (they have that tiny 24pins and not regular size ones), but I take it out and cross the green wire (PSU on) with black ground wire and the PSU turns on, hmmm. So I independently test out each voltage on all wires and they all come out with proper voltages.

I put the PSU back in and I test out the power button and its wires, and they are fine. I even crossed the pins on the motherboard to get it to turn on and nothing.

The thing I can not get my head around it that in every motherboard failure I was a witness to, I was at least getting some PSU response (fan spinning). That is why at first I thought it was PSU for sure, but I do not have spare FLEX ATX PSU as they are not common at all.

Would I be wrong to assume that motherboard went south? The way I see it, ifI get a new motherboard (for a lot less than new FLEX PSU) with standard power supply plug I can just put the PC into normal chassis (I have spares) and use one on my many spare ATX PSU's and eliminate both possible sources of error weather it is a motherboard or FLEX PSU.

Thoughts? Thanks...

Assuming the fuse in the power cord is fine, I would suspect the PSU to be at fault.

What would make you think that? I am getting some response from PSU. I ma not 100% convinced ether way...

Back