TechSpot

Is it time to disable Java?

By learninmypc
Apr 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Back in January of this year, the United States Department of Homeland Security advised PC users to disable Java from their web browsers following the serious zero-day vulnerabilities discovered in Java. In response, Oracle released an emergency Java patch, but the fix was not meant to patch all the critical vulnerabilities.
    Staying protected against Java exploits is a rising concern among millions of Windows®, Mac OS®, and Linux® users. What makes this exploit such a big deal is the fact that Java runs on more than 850 million personal computers and on billions of devices worldwide, including mobile devices and TVs1. http://www.superantispyware.com/blog/2013/04/is-it-time-to-disable-java/

"My 2cents worth" On the XP Pro I returned to the user, I never did install java on it & it ran fine.
    If I knew my W7 would run as well with out it, I'd dump it in a heartbeat.

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,027   +913

I recently installed it on my Mac to run a web app and havent uninstalled it. I should. Already did that on my PCs.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,310   +238

Re read what you typed. I think you made an error.
    "I recently installed it on my Mac to run a web app and havent installed it.:confused:

4. JC713

You know what I mean ;) lol. Fixed.

5. learninmypc

Actually, no I didn't. Thanks for the clarification.:)

6. Kunming

Kunming TS Rookie Posts: 43

Of course you should disable it. It's the smartest thing to do.
    That, or you reserve a browser for running Java, while you do all your
    casual surfing in a non-Java-enabled browser. But with FireFox at least,
    it's pretty easy to keep it disabled and then just enable it when you
    need it.

7. learninmypc

I think you might of mis understood what I'm saying. I do have it currently disabled in Firefox & Opera & in any browser I may (re)install. My question is does W7 need it or can I completely remove it from my W7 pc?
    In my original post, it says I never installed it on a XP Pro I have since returned & it ran fine.

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

EXTREMELY few of us need Java and there's not a lot of web usage either - - you decide.

9. learninmypc

Thank you.(y)

10. JC713

11. learninmypc

12. edee02

edee02 TS Rookie

I haven't had java installed on any of my systems since Windows 98 / ME. For the home user there is absolutely no use for it at all besides a big footprint on your systems performance, however if you are a business that runs software that requires the use of java is a different story.

Kumming, java and java script are two different things and I think you may be confusing them, Firefox uses java script which at the moment does not have the holes and problems that java (sun systems) does. I wouldn't go near java with a 100 foot pole right now.

13. learninmypc

I finally decided to remove it from my W7 today.
    I had it on a previous XP Pro, but didn't install it after I reinstalled the OS.
    I can't see taking unnecessary chances. Better safe than sorry.:)

14. JC713

I installed the new version. It is much more secure with the pop up dialog that warns you if it wants to run.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.