Is it worth overclocking?

By coolhand
Aug 24, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I'm fairly new to overclocking (did it before, but due to my new system, I'm a little afraid and unsure) so I'd like to ask you all a question:

I have:
    Gigabyte K8NSC-939 Socket 939 Mobo
    Athlon 3500+ Venice
    2 GB of Mushkin SP3200 Memory
    6600GT BFG

Now, is it worth overclocking? How much speed/increase will I get from this - and is it relatively safe? If I do overclock, I'm planning on using stock cooling (my CPU idles at 29C and during 2 hrs of BF2, it tops out at 34C). But I dont think my memory has a fast enough timing to really push an OC. So for those who are pros at this, please give me some guidance and suggestions.. Thanks guys!
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

You have a pretty good setup for this day and age. I don't really think overclock will help you much.
    If your system runs stable, leave it alone. Maybe just check the timings on your RAM that they are the recommended.
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i agree with vigilante. you have got a good rig and overclocking really isn't nessesary.
  4. coolhand

coolhand Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking about an OC - but my memory's timing are pertty slow - it's something like 3-3-3-8 or something like that.. is that a bad thing? Is there a way to optimize that?
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

generally no - unless you want to stress your system and also violate your CPU warranty. I tried overclocking and wound up burning out a good CPU. Painful mistake, I will never push my CPU way beyond its limits again.
  6. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

I don't overclock until the CPU starts feeling dated. If the newer games start to chug, newer programs just don't run so quickly etc., and I have an old CPU.... I overclock.

Your current CPU is fine for anything you can toss at it these days. Maybe in a year or so think of overclocking to give you a few extra months before you upgrade it.
  7. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,120

I have a gig Corsair XMS Extreme kit (2 512s running dual channel). This RAM was sold as "very low latency" and it also runs at 3-3-3-8. So it must be pretty good!
  8. coolhand

coolhand Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks guys. OK so I guess I'll wait a year or so before I risk burning out this bad boy. :grinthumb I guess I'm just getting greedy -- especially now that BF2 runs like fluid.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.