Is my 4800 too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it hit 92c on load or idle?

On load it's pretty hot but still acceptable. It could be due to a warm ambient temperature or inadequate air flow in the case. Or maybe just that the card runs a little hot.

On idle it's a serious issue.

It would be better if you gave us a few more specifics regarding the make and model of the card.

the card

Sorry for lack of detail, and it hit 92 while using furmark,

it was running at 750MHz GPU clock speed and 9ooMHz memory clock speed, defult settings. idle it nomraly runs at 70-75 degrees. thats with the fan speed at 27%.

Try opening the side of your case. Also the reason your temp is going to 92c is because the fan is not spinning fast enough. Use ATI Tray Tools and put fan speed to 100 for gaming.

Those chips go to 100c and still work. What is optimal is in the 70's Celcious. Your getting 92c soo up the fan speed and open side of case and I guarantee youll see 70's and what not.. gl

Increase fan speed using ATI Overdrive. Keep it at about 60% when idle. That should bring those temps down.

During gaming or benchmarking you may crank it up all the way to 100%.

60% should be enough to ensure cool temperatures.
Safely overclocking is not really a good term, it all depends on the memory speeds, and especially the make of your card, asus & forsa cards are fine for intense workouts, just be careful if you do have something like sparkle or some budget brand.

I do recommend that you buy a sidepanel fan if you see the temperatures stay high.
They are a cheap way to ensuring system stability. Overclocking is also alot safer that way!

92C is way to hot. Even if it is within the mfr spec for operation, the life of the GPU will be shortened.
I wouldn't let my GPU run hotter than 60C, and it never does while playing Auran Train Simulator 2010, but maybe this is not a good benchmark. I don't have any FPS games that might be a lot more intense.

That said; if your system is running too hot, it may be for a number of reasons.
You don't have enough cooling in the case. In addition to the fan on the video card itself, you need a strong fan (or two) in the rear of the case to take all that hot air coming off the video card, CPU, and other chips.

The size of the case is also a factor. A full tower case will allow more heat to be removed from the components before getting too warm.
What is the size of your case?

Removing the side panel will help somewhat, but it is not a fix. You need more active cooling.
Try putting an additional fan in the front of the case. There should be a place for it right behind the front grille. Make sure that fan blows air INTO the case.
You might also want to try a fan in the side of the case. It should be placed towards the front of the case, but not too far up that it won't blow air onto the motherboard.
What you want, is the side or front fan to blow air INTO the case, and across the base of the CPU and along the GPU, so that rear fans can pick up the hot air that comes off these components.

Just remember; Electronics components will always run better if they are kept cool.
If you are over-clocking, you absolutely need to "over-clock" your cooling system too.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back