Is my 8800GTX dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'm new here.
I might be wrong but I think my video card is dying. Today while reading through dome forums my PC crashed with BSOD, when restarted my BIOS covered in horizontal lines and dots. I cannot log in normal Windows mode as it's crashing only safe mode is ok. I tried to update nvidia driver but no luck and also everytime I do this getting message: "stereo server has not been properly installed". I've also attached dump file if that can help.
My system:
E6600 @ 2.4
4GB ram
Asus P5B-Deluxe
Geforce 8800GTX
Vista Home Premium 32bit

If my video card is dying I don't mind (don't have choice really) buying new one but just want to make sure that's the problem.
Please any advice
Thank you

P.S This is windows report on problem:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 87B5D510
BCP2: 8E80F4E0
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini071109-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-2591265-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER91E2.tmp.version.txt

Most BSODs are caused by buggy drivers or faulty RAM modules... and sometimes both. Have you tried running Driver Sweeper to wipe out the drivers or are you trying from the remove programs list? If so, I would try downloading and using the tool. It can be found here.

On top of what Rage posted, you may benefit from applying a new layer of thermal grease on the GPU core, which will help keep the temps down if you find the card is running hot. 2.5 years isn't that long for thermal to break down, but reapplying might help. Also, how old is the power supply in said system?

Hi EXCellR8, I've unistalled driver from Device Manager. Just tried Driver Sweeper but when u trying to clean getting the message:
"Access violation at address 004FE489 in module 'DriverSweeper.exe'.
Read of address 00000000"
The whole system is 2.5 years old together with 700W power suply
I will try grease thing tomorrow - never done it before.
What really concerns me is when I power on PC the screen with my motherboard details and the BIOS view covered in lines and dots but then in Safe Mode is fine...

You should try uninstalling the driver package from the Add/Remove programs window, then restart the computer. Once it's back running, try running Driver Sweeper again and make sure only "nVidia display driver" is marked for uninstalling. If it still doesn't work, try downloading and reinstalling a brand new display driver from www.nvidia.com or www.guru3d.com and then uninstall and reinstall in Safe Mode.

If you need help with applying thermal compound, visit www.arcticsilver.com and have a look at the installation instructions section:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Hi guys, I did everything as you said, cleaned the fan, reapplied thermal compound reinstalled drivers and.... everything back to it's normal, no lines or dots on start up and I'm logged in Normal Mode!!!
Many many thanks to you people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back