TechSpot

Is my computer fried?

By LostInGray
Oct 20, 2007
  1. So these past few days we've been having a storm where I live and of course, the power has been iffy. The power had been out for a few minutes and came back on again. I had my computer off the whole time. After a few minutes of the power being on I start hearing Pop-pop-pop-pop, I look over and it's my computer, turning on and off really quickly and making this noise. So, I went and turned off the power strip/surge protector. I didn't get back to the computer till a few hours later. I turned the power strip back on and tired to turn the computer on. The first time I pressed the button nothing happened, the second time the light turned yellow but did nothing after that. So I turned it off again and tired again. Nothing. Since then the computer is just dead. I checked all the connections everything looks fine. Everything else that is on that power strip is working fine, including my moniter. So anybody know what's up with my CPU?

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

What pc have you got?

3. LostInGray

LostInGray TS Rookie Topic Starter

It's a emachine (crappy I know, I didn't know any better at the time I bought it) Intel Celeron processor, What else do you need to know?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Power supply and motherboard will have to be replaced... You might think about buying a new system at this point. What is the eMachines model number? It starts with a "T" or "W" or some other letter

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.