TechSpot

Is my graphic card broken?

By Vocidx
Mar 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My 9800gt for some odd reason doesn't seem to work? I'm not sure if it's dead because the screen stays black when I turn my computer on and the computer beeps like it usually does and then I hear the windows 7 start up sound thing and I can type in my password and it logs in.

Is it dead? Or is it something else?

Specs:
    MOBO: MSI K9N6PGM2-V
    PSU: CoolingMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAR-A3)
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.90GHz
    RAM: 4GB

2. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Check to make sure all the connections are working and plugged in, e.g. power cord for the monitor, vga/dvi for video. I know that seems rather obvious, but sometimes it's the easy things we overlook.

3. Vocidx

Vocidx TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for trying, I tried rewiring everything and making sure they were all plugged in properly and it still doesn't work.

I'm quite sure it's dead now though because I plugged in my HD5450 and it works fine.

Is there anyway to check if it's dead for sure?
    Also, is there any cheap graphic card which is as good as a 9800gt or better that I could consider buying to replace my 9800gt?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.