Is my graphic card dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Operating system: windows xp

I was playing empire total war and suddenly the game crashed, whereafter my screen froze in desktop. I restarted my pc and at desktop it froze again, and then a blue screen popped up saying something was wrong, but i had gotten that blue screen a lot of times before where i had just restarted the pc holding the power button and it would work. This time however, when i restart it normally, it doesn't enter the desktop. Instead, after the windows splash screen where the screen that says Welcome to windows is suppose to show, the screen is black and sometimes a mouse appears that i can move around. Then the monitor turns on and off for a little while and finally goes to power saving mode. I can start my pc in safe mode, and i went to download new graphic driver by letting nvidia do automatic search for missing drivers. its funny that the search could recognize my graphic driver, which indicates that its not entirely dead or what? When i downloaded the driver and installed it it still didn't work. I went to do the automatic search in nvidia again and it found the same driver telling that it was needed. apparantly the driver i installed didn't really settle or what?

I tried to recreate the system to prior dates and to start it up to the previously working settings but none of it worked. I took out rams, but wouldn't work. My graphic card is still present in device manager.
Another thing, my brother thought he saw a message about infinite loop in the blue screen, but that wouldn't be the problem since it starts up in safe mode or what?

Please help!
Thanks!!!

Well first issue is that we dont have much information at all. We need specifics on your hardware setup to be more helpful.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 4MB S-775

ASUS P5LD2/SE Intel 945P S-775

2 GB DDR2 Ram PC4200 1. Part (2x1GB)

1024MB Inno3D GeF 7950GX2 GDDR3 PCI-E

320GB Maxtor 7200rpm 16MB SATA2

PSU Standard for 520W Atrix

Windows XP Home

18x Samsung DVD/RW DL

these specs?

I dont think your vga is dead. Do you have a program to monitor temps at all?

How's your airflow? Seems you had this card for quite some time.

So now you cant even get into windows with a viewable screen?

Do you have another dvi cord to try? dvi switch changed a similar issue for me.

Last issue I want to address is your psu. Have you tried switching out to another psu to see if it is your issue. If your rails start to fail on it then I can see some issues. I recommend next time you buy one go with a well known (quality) brand with good amps on the 12v rails.

I dont think your vga is dead. Do you have a program to monitor temps at all?

I dont think its dead either, right now im in VGA mode. I dont have a program monitoring temperatures that I know of, did not buy one.

How's your airflow? Seems you had this card for quite some time.

My graphic card got two vents, i have one giant vent, and then one at the power supply. I had it for about 2 years

So now you cant even get into windows with a viewable screen?

I can get into windows by safe mode and VGA mode with viewable screen and internet. However, if i in VGA mode change resolution to higher than the one its at 640x480 then the screen turns black and goes to power saving mode.

Do you have another dvi cord to try? dvi switch changed a similar issue for me.

Would that be an issue if im able to enter windows by VGA and safety mode?

Last issue I want to address is your psu. Have you tried switching out to another psu to see if it is your issue. If your rails start to fail on it then I can see some issues. I recommend next time you buy one go with a well known (quality) brand with good amps on the 12v rails.[/I]

Power supply seems to function well since im in windows right now. psu specs:

Atrix - extreme power , switching power supply,
AC input 230 VAC
DC output MAX
Atx12V P4
520W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back