Is my graphics card dead?

Wakzzz

Hi, My pc recentlty started looking like this, is my graphics card dead?

Pics to follow, once i know how to.

IMG-20110906-00042.jpg

IMG-20110913-00077.jpg

IMG-20110913-00078.jpg

Something does look odd.

You appear to be missing many colors!

I'd start by taking a look at the drivers for your video card. Also making sure that your card is detected properly as an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS by Device Manager.

Thanks for the reply, ill have a check.

Strangely enough though, its exactly the same thing that happened to my last packard bell pc aswell!

Theres colours missing and also the screen resolution shouldnt be as big as it is in that picture!:confused:

Thanks for the reply, ill have a check.

Strangely enough though, its exactly the same thing that happened to my last packard bell pc aswell!

Theres colours missing and also the screen resolution shouldnt be as big as it is in that picture!:confused:
Well, as small as it is in the picture. That means that you have problems with the drivers as it has resorted to load the very basic display drivers which is what you see. Why it is is 16k or 256 colours is completely beyond me, but it looks driver related jsut by looking at that.

Just saying…

Thanks for the reply, im going to check the drivers right now.

I did have the case of my pc open onthe side for a while and when the graphics card failed i opened it and saw there was alot of dust on the graphics card, could this have been a cause to make it stop working?

Update:
Just tried updating/uninstalling/reinstalling latest drivers and no luck!

In device manager it says something along the lines of "Windows has stopped this device (code 43)"

Also noticed it said 16 colours somewhere (dont actually know what that means)

When i turn the pc on, from the purple packard bell start up page i can see white dots over the writing, because of the graphics card, althought the windows 7 loading bit seems to be perfect and even the colours are, until it gets to the log on page where it looks like above!

Am i looking at a new card then?

Your monitor is the problem not the graphics card, the screen has started running ink from the look of it, plug it into another working computer and see if it looks the same because i bet it will

Back