Is my Laptop Graphics Card Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
System: Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GS
Integrated graphics on mobo?: I think so; yes, or else disabling the above video card would've blacked everything out, right?

My laptop gets to the black Microsoft Windows XP boot screen (the one with a progress bar below the logo that has blue dots scrolling across it in threes), then the screen dies out just before it reaches the login screen.

I restarted, booted into Safe Mode, disabled my GeForce, restarted again and got all the way to home base; albeit with ****-ugly graphics, as mine's a 17" widescreen and 800x600 does it absolutely no justice.

Enabling the card from there killed the screen dead, so I'm pretty sure by now my GeForce is busted, but can anyone confirm this for me; just so I can be sure?

Also, is there anything I can do about the current crappy graphics, like installing video drivers for the integrated mobo graphics? Or did Dell rip everything "extra" out when I chose the high-end graphics card?

Hi

your card is outputting a refresh rate or monitor size that the screen cant handle, you need to start in safe mode and apply the lowest setting such as 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 and check the refresh rate is set to 70 hz,

then reboot and change the size back to a normal setting.

The other easier way is to start in safe mode and remove the card in device manager, then reboot and let windows reinstall it.

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't work unfortunately. However I ran a diagnostics test today and it gave me this:

"Detected an error while writing and reading video memory. Address B83B8h, expected to read FFFFFFFFh, but read FFFEFFFFh instead."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back