Is my monitor dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Liquid Video monitor that is probably about 7-8 years old. Within the last year or two it has begun to flicker frequently. One minute it will be normal, then it will change color to a tinted pink, then flicker rapidly for many minutes. I think these are the signs of a dying monitor but I'm not sure? Any advice?

Check the cable. Most times if it still displays video, it could be a broken, crossed, or a loose connection to the back of your computer.

It could be all of the information mentioned. Most likely because of age if it is a Cathode type moniter meaning not an LCD flat screen the high voltage circuit is dying or the pin cusion circuit possibly. That monitor is not worth putting any money into for repairs. Besides monitors are very cheap today comparitive to years ago. That alone has made repairing monitorsand tv's a thing of the past.

Hello Denise,
The enervating aspect of your situation is also the key point of many television dramas - while there's one symptom, there are many candidates for the cause. Since it is at the core a "signal" issue - that is, does it get there, is it good, is it properly acted upon..., basic signal troubleshooting technniques are apropos. If you have another monitor, or pc, either one will suffice to split the distance: plug the monitor into another pc - no symptoms, the video card is suspect #1. Still symptoms, a loose yoke on the CRT, or a bad flyback transformer (the 2'nd most expensive component in a nonflat monitor, as well as hard to replace, and designed for a functional lifespan of about five years.) Our Poster that notes the low prices of new ones is onto something, if the monitor is at fault. Good luck!
In the evidently likely event that the monitor is at fault, don't even attempt repairs. The high voltages and attendant liabilities ensure that few are qualified, less are insured, and even fewer are inclined to give anyone a fair shake on a repair bill. The Silver Lining of this intermittent cloud is this; A lot of inexpensive, cool running and long lasting flat screens are backwards-compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back