Is my monitor dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, a while ago I got a 2nd hand moniter because my old one was flicking (it was about 10 yrs old) so i decided to get another one.
My problem is that this new moniter over the past 10months that ive been using it, its been getting slightly worse, such as when you start the computer up, the first thing you can see now is the windows log on screen, it refuses to show the windows loading screen that occurs before that (it would show it ut it flickered while showing it when i first got the moniter). But i never thought anything of it since i don't take much notice of the windows loading screen anyways,
but now that I've got more time on my hands I've wanted to get back into playing some of my old pc games, which worked fine with the old moniter on the same pc unit.
However now games like Diablo 1 or Populous: The beginning will install fine, you then go and open them up, the background audio for the games work fine but all you can see picture wise is a black screen. I pressing the options button on my moniter to bring up it's settings, such as brightness and contrast, but that menu wouldn't come up. I can Alt + Tab to a different window and the moniter comes back on fine, still recognising the game is working(is responding) and everything.

Is there anyway I can fix this problem or will it be easier to just get a new screen?

Is the monitor a lcd or a crt? What brand and model is it? It sounds like either you have a driver issue or the monitor does not like certain resolutions.

Do any of the pins on the vga connector look broken or missing? If they look ok and a video card driver update doesn't fix it you might have to look for a new monitor.

All the pins are fine, I've been searching for a driver for it but either i pay for a new driver (which i don't really want to do, possibly a scam) or else all the free downloads all take me to the same download link, which is broken... guess I need a new screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back