TechSpot

is my power source the problem?

By a2ps
Jan 22, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi there,

this is more like a general hardware question.

my computer:

MB: P4S8X
    CPU: P4 2.5
    GC: Ati Radeon 9700 non-pro latest drivers ( catalyst 4.1 )
    SC: Creative Sound Blaster live 2 player
    Speakers: Creative Inspire 6.1
    Ram: 512
    HD: Ibm Deskstar 120gbx 80gb
    Power Source: 350W

this problem happen on my both OS's Windows XP and RedHat 9 on separated partitions.

1: sometimes both OS's dont recognise the sound card. its just like it isnt there. in linux whenever i try to play a dvd the sound cames out from the speakers like "bumps" (sorry the wrong expression, but im not that good in english ).

2: in the last couple of months the power source makes sometimes a very strange large sound like a motor bike (but not as loud).

3: the hard drive makes a loud cute sound, that it didnt make at the beguining.

4: MB and CPU are allways about 50ยบ of temperature (celcius).

the entire computer has about a year now, so it is rather new, but are all these problems due to the power source? i mean, maybe if i buy a new one with more power (say 450w or somethin), would it solve the problems?

thanks in advance.

PS: sorry the bad english.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

What is the brand-name and model of your power-supply?

Switch off the PC and clean the powersupply (just from the outside) with a strong vacuum-cleaner/hoover. It may be quite dusty inside. It may well be that it's fan is on the way out, which may cause PSU-overheating and definitely a lot of noise.
    If that does not help, replace your PSU with a 400-450W from either Enermax or Antec.

If you can reach the fan-blades on any fans inside the PC, clean those up at the same time.

Start thinking about a backup-strategy for your HD and look around for a new HD. Before you do that, read this post, go to IBM and download their HD-test utilities.
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

3. a2ps

a2ps TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks a lot for the reply.

ill try that, and came back if i need extra help.

once again thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.