Is my PSU good enough or do I need a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sev

hello, simple question, i recently bought a new set up, and i failed to look up the power requirements on my vidcards, well now i have a roswell psu and well it has 20 amps on the +12, but my video cards require +30, is this workable? or should i just return the psu and get a new one

I don't think it worth taking a risk to run your hardware on PSU which can't handle it.

Just wondering why you bought such a high-end graphics, and totally skimped on your PSU....

Hmm..... sorry bout my last comment then.

Whats ur system specs?

well i got my old psu working again, so its not that, evidently, both my video cards are class a junk, one took a dive and the other just doesnt seem to want to run with the drivers installed (9800GTX+) i now got my ultra 1000w 70amp on +12 single (thank god it works) now i just gotta rma my mobo, since the top pcie slot is (junk) specs are added ---> look @ system specs ( and no i thought ur comment was funny ( i was already kicking my self over it ))

Hey Sev,
how did both your graphics cards happen to bite the dust?

well when i first got them, i went to put one in and broke a capiciter, it worked but i knew it wouldnt last to long, and the other one took a flying leap off my desk while a was working on assembly of this computer, (#%#@%) exactly.. it doesnt want to load the drivers for that card, so i know its done for, at first i thought it was my pci-e slots, but bottom one works fine, so im using the one with the broken capiciter, just with no drivers loaded, (doesnt wanna load drivers on this one either) but im waiting on a friend to loan me there 9600GT to see if that works, since its pciex16, then if that fails rma mobo... which i dont wanna do but yeah if i need to i will ( and i just happened to get the mobo with no onboard video :( )

well when i first got them, i went to put one in and broke a capiciter, it worked but i knew it wouldnt last to long, and the other one took a flying leap off my desk while a was working on assembly of this computer, (#%#@%) exactly.. it doesnt want to load the drivers for that card, so i know its done for, at first i thought it was my pci-e slots, but bottom one works fine, so im using the one with the broken capiciter, just with no drivers loaded, (doesnt wanna load drivers on this one either) but im waiting on a friend to loan me there 9600GT to see if that works, since its pciex16, then if that fails rma mobo... which i dont wanna do but yeah if i need to i will ( and i just happened to get the mobo with no onboard video )
Ok um, I think I just sorta lost it at broken "capiciter", doesn't want to load drivers???

Anyway, Rosewill powersupplies suck anyway, i'd toss it out.
A corsair 650 would do fine if you're interested.

Ok um, I think I just sorta lost it at broken "capiciter", doesn't want to load drivers???

Anyway, Rosewill powersupplies suck anyway, i'd toss it out.
A corsair 650 would do fine if you're interested.

well i got my ultra ult1000w hfx? i dunno its in the comp right now, and that has 70amps on the +12 ( and capicter, it coulda been a transister, and yes my spelling sucks lol... ) it was small and on the back of the card lol.. dont really know because i never found it, but getting past that, card still worked after break)) everything works but the video still, on startup load, it freezes once the drivers kick in, so i think its the video, ill find out within the next hour or 2, getting my friends card for testing

It is always the quality of the power supply, not the power, that makes the difference... too bad it requires experience over time... because you cannot really figger out reliability and protection based on brand, model, or cost anymore.
There are still a few brands and models you can trust, but you have to maintain your own accounts... Anybody seen truly reliable bench test reports in a magazine in the past year?

It is always the quality of the power supply, not the power, that makes the difference... too bad it requires experience over time... because you cannot really figger out reliability and protection based on brand, model, or cost anymore.
There are still a few brands and models you can trust, but you have to maintain your own accounts... Anybody seen truly reliable bench test reports in a magazine in the past year?

yeah i know, there just milking profits, hell intel had a 80core working prototype in 2005, and they JUST introduced the i3.5.7s HRMMMM greedy?

Broken capacitors are quite easily replaced. Just walk into any DIY electronics store and ask them to match a capacitor for you.

Well, thats assuming you can do some basic soldering.

But since its working... maybe best to leave it alone?

well when i first got them, i went to put one in and broke a capiciter, it worked but i knew it wouldnt last to long, and the other one took a flying leap off my desk while a was working on assembly of this computer, (#%#@%) exactly.. it doesnt want to load the drivers for that card, so i know its done for, at first i thought it was my pci-e slots, but bottom one works fine, so im using the one with the broken capiciter, just with no drivers loaded, (doesnt wanna load drivers on this one either) but im waiting on a friend to loan me there 9600GT to see if that works, since its pciex16, then if that fails rma mobo... which i dont wanna do but yeah if i need to i will ( and i just happened to get the mobo with no onboard video :( )

just caause your drivers wont load doesnt mean its broken my computer had some weird problem it stopped recognizing my radeon 5750 i tried restarting checking to see if it was properly seated uninstalling the driver trying to reinstall it wouldnt install. So i took it out cleaned house completly deleted the old driver reinstalled bingo started working

well i sent out my motherboard, waiting for the return, then ill test if that all fails again, then time to get me a fermi! or 2... lol or a couple GX2's

Do you have dual railings. If so then it should work fine on your PSU. Actually your CPU is overkill.

If you dont have that other rail, at least 2 , then forget about using video card with current PSU. get something else. For brand go with.quality PSU. thx gl

If you dont have that other rail, at least 2 , then forget about using video card with current PSU. get something else.

What are you on about?
Having multiple 12v rails has nothing to do with it. The quality of the PSU and the Amperage on the 12V rail(s) is the criteria. Are you telling me that you would not, or could not run crossfire/SLI on this PSU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011
you could run 4x 9800 GT's on it without problem.

What are you on about?
Having multiple 12v rails has nothing to do with it. The quality of the PSU and the Amperage on the 12V rail(s) is the criteria. Are you telling me that you would not, or could not run crossfire/SLI on this PSU?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011
you could run 4x 9800 GT's on it without problem.
exactly my ultra is pretty much the same except different case cover + mins modular

Broken capacitors are quite easily replaced. Just walk into any DIY electronics store and ask them to match a capacitor for you.

Well, thats assuming you can do some basic soldering.

But since its working... maybe best to leave it alone?

I took a soldering class about 2 years back at my local trade school. It was free, 1 day a week for a month. Best investment of time for me imo concerning pc repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back