Is my PSU powerful enough for 9800 GX2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbabigsexy

I am going to get a 9800 GX2 at the end of this month. I have an Asus Maximus motherboard and a Q9450. My current PSU is a 650W Seasonic that a bought a few months ago. Will this be powerful enough or do I need to buy a new PSU?

The GX2 requires 580 watt minimum for a single card if running in sli then you looking at 800 watts minimum, also a 8 pin power connector as well as the 6 pin is required to connect to the card and such some have found that their power supply doesn't have the 8 pin connector and had to buy a new power supply or a adapter. also be aware that it's just not about wattage the GX2 is said to draw near to 40A on the 12v rail and such your power supply will need to support this as well. i have provided a link below that lists the power supplys that work with the GX2.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_9800gx2_pwr_supply.html

You would need to get a adapter as it doesn't have a 8 pin Pcie power cable only 2x 6 pin, other than that it will run it fine.

That Seasonic is superb. You will find it excellent in use, and totally reliable. The adapter is available free or cheap, if your box doesn't contain one. Ours did.

I've always heard good things about Seasonic. But it is a tragedy they split the 12V into 4 rails. If possible, when/if you get that adapter, try and connect it to different 12V rails. I'm not sure how those work, but if you can pull from 2 rails rather than 1 you will probably be better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back