Is my Video Card busted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I know if my video card's busted, or if I just messed up the settings of my laptop without realizing it? :( I was playing DinerTown (hehe) the other day, and now I suddenly can't. It tells me my video card can't support it. The same goes for other games I usually play. Jojo's Fashion show slowed down a great deal, and I can't even open up Windows Movie Maker anymore (tells me the same thing, video card doesn't support it).

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I recently upgraded my directX from 9.0c to 10. That really shouldn't be a problem, but things just got nutty after I did... and if I remember correctly, there's no way to downgrade it so I can actually check if that's the case.

I don't know what info's needed, but here goes... My video card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family. It's running on Vista Home Basic, and my laptop has 3GB Ram.

When I was installing Restuarant Empire 2, it asked me if I wanted to install DirectX. So I did. But checking now, they had version 9, not 10. |: Anyway, it 'installed properly', and I have 10 right now. I don't even know how it's possible to 'properly install' 9 when I already had 10.

(I'm so sorry, I must've mixed the numbers up before. I just assumed that since it installed, it was a higher version. This is so dumb of me.)

Vista gives supports for both directx 9 and 10. So it depends on the video card. Have you tried updating intel drivers? You can find drivers on intel.com.

Not having a card that supports DX10 shouldn't be the issue, the games will still play, just without the DX10 features. It would be disastrous for the our pockets (and the industry for fewer sales) if you had to have a new card to play every new game.

@ SNGX1275 - The OP said he installed DX10. Does DX10 overwrite DX9? I'm sorry if it's a really foolish question. (Because if it did it might prevent the onboard graphics from working as it supports only DX9).

lol. no i dont think he actually installed it. I think the installer only did check and updated where possible.

no the directx should not effect anything, re-install drivers and directx from the respective sites then post back

I agree foreword

Get all the latest windows updates (might correct itself?), reinstall all your latest video card drivers(just google your video card name + driver downloads, get them from the makers site). Reinstall the latest directx drivers. Make sure you download and install the ones for windows or whatever os(windows mac?) it is your running.

@ SNGX1275 - The OP said he installed DX10. Does DX10 overwrite DX9? I'm sorry if it's a really foolish question. (Because if it did it might prevent the onboard graphics from working as it supports only DX9).
Its not a foolish question, DX10 broke the 'backwards compatible' trend of all the previous directx versions. Installing DX10 (should be already installed on Vista and above anyway) won't overwrite DX9, DX9 stays because if you just had DX10 DX9 and below games wouldn't play.

Thats not really any different than what I said. But if you could just have DX10, its not gonna work with DX9 games. Maybe my saying it won't overwrite is incorrect, but I meant it in the context of the question asked, so my response was basically that installing DX10 isn't going to kill compatibility with DX9 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back