Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, relevant system specs:

Intel P4 2.8 (Prescott)
ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe (BIOS .1016)
1024 Dual Channel DDR
Leadtek Winfast A7600 GT 256MB AGP
Stock Intel CPU HSF, used Arctic Silver
Idel temps: 59C Load Temps: 73C (may be the problem)

Graphic Settings:

Video Bios: 5.73.22.25.68
Forceware: 91.47

Anisotropic Filter: 8x
Anisotropic Mip Filter: On
Anisotropic Sample Optimization: Off
Antialiasing Settings: 4x
Conformant Texture Clamp: Hardware
Extension Limit: Off
Force Mipmaps: None
Gamma correct antialiasing : off
Hardware Accel: Single Display Performance
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp
Texture Filtering; Quality
Transparency Antialasing: Off
Trilinear Optimization: On
Triple Buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: Use 3d application setting

Max temp at load: 52 C
Resolution: 1152x864 (70 mhz refresh) with Syncmaster 940MW

Basically, when playing World of Warcraft, my frame rate drops from 35 FPS with settings on medium to 15 or lower when I enter any graphics intensive area. This card should be able to max out settings for such a low resource game as Warcraft. I know Pressies run hot, but I'm thinking when it's hitting 73 or so it's throttling back and lowering my FPS. My GPU never gets hot. I just ordered a Zalman CNPS9500, and I'm hoping this is the problem, but figured I'd ask if anyone saw anything else wrong? The card worked great for the first few days and then I began suffering these debilitating FPS drops. Any ideas? Thanks ahead of time, appreciate all the help I can get.

Case circulation is decent, wires are neatly tucked away, no dust, etc, cool room. According to the Nvidia software, my GPU isn't even going over 52c at load, so I can't imagine it's overheating unless the software is THAT far off.

Does your Prescott have the stock hsf on it? If it does that Zalman you mention should help quite a bit in lowering your cpu temp. I don't think that the cpu would throttle back at only 73c. There could be a setting in the bios that controls that.
Another thing to consider: Is your power supply up to the task?

Software readings aren't very accurate, but the GPU doesn't appear to be the problem. That Preshott CPU is running too hot.

I recommend to remove the heatsink, clean all the previous AS5, apply a new layer, and attach properly the heatsink.

Yes, it has the stock HSF on it, so I am hoping that the Zalman does the trick. Prescott's are known to run hot, so I can't imagine that 73c is causing it to throttle back so much, either.

PS is brand new, 550w, so likely not that, either.

Anyone know of a way to TELL if my CPU is throttling down due to temperature? This system is by far not the ultimate, but this is only World of Warcraft we're talking about and I should be getting 50 FPS plus with my system specs.

I don't think its throttling down, leave that for those 3.8 GHZ CPU's.

I'm sure there is a way to check if a CPU is throttling back, but I can't remember it :p I'll google it :D

EDIT: Found it, check THIS PROGRAM

Thanks! I'll give it a shot, see what gives.

Of course, now if I find out my CPU isn't throttling back, then what's causing my FPS drop? :(

MAYBE, check the PSU as nickslick74 said. What brand and model is it?

I hope it's not a Powmax one :hotbounce :hotouch: :dead: :unch:puke:

That should be a great PSU. Now we can rule out any PSU related problem.

BTW, I added the :puke: smiley :)

I'm stumped, unless the software is reporting the gpu temp incorrectly. You could try taking the side of the case off and pointing a fan at the mobo/components and see if that helps any.

Anyway, a 7600GT card can't run too hot. If its not an overheating problem, and the high CPU temp is not the problem, I'm completely out of ideas :(

I turned all video settings down to low, and I noticed no more than a 5 FPS increase. It's still not much more FPS than my old 9600 Radeon SE, which is a horrible card. Throttlewatch reported no downthrottling, so I'm stumped. The textures in the game tend to "disappear" after a few hours of playing, and then when I reload the game, they are fine. I'm thinking about just RMA'ing the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back