Is the Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (768MB) right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a new video card since the one I have really sucks... I was looking at the GeForce 8800 GTX since I hear from alot of people that it's a very good video card to have for now-a-day games. I want to make sure my computer will take it if I buy one. Here's some info :

Power Supply

HIPRO (The brand name or company, it's in big letters at the top)
Model: HP-D3057F3R
AC input : (47-63 Hz)
100-127V/8A
200-240V/4A
DC output: +12V = / 19A
+12V shall not exceed 268W
Max output power 300W

Now here's some of my computer specs. I used the program CPU-Z to get them.

Processor

Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Core Speed: 2004.2MHz

"Mainboard"

Model: NODUSM3
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 (lol I know right?)
Southbridge: NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP

(In the BIOS section)

Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 3.07
Date: 08/02/2006

Memory
(I'm planning on buying an extra 1GB)

Type: DDR2
Channels # : Dual
Size: 1024 Mbytes

I hope you guys can help me with the information I gave you.

I doubt your PSU will be able to handle a 8800. If you are getting it online, it should tell you what the system requirements are for it. It probably requires at least a 450 watt PSU.

Yep

I beleive it is a minimum of 450 watts with atleast a 28amp combined +12v rail. Also your probably going to have to pick an alternative since the 8800GTX is a discontinued card. Ebay maybe....???

Also a x2 3800+ is probably going to bottleneck down that card down at higher resolutions. Your best choice would probably be a 8800GT or GTS.

what about this

Alright then, thanks. I went over to EVGA sites to check some other stuff out. I found the GTS poducts you were talking about. I have a few other questions now.

e-GeForce 8800 GTS is 150$, e-GeForce 8800 GT SSC is 120$. Looking at the specs given by the site, the SSC performs better by 50MHz GPU clocked and 60MHz memory clocked. Why is it cheaper?

Also, what would be best for my computer? GTS or GT SSC

the 8800GT is an older card, that is why it is cheaper. but for u're computer it would be a good card.

Gts vs gt

The main difference is going to be that the GTS has more processing units on it. Will give you better performance.

Id say for the extra $30 go with the GTS, your system should hadle that fine.

Also on the evga website when you are looking at the cards (under specs) they give you a power supply minimum for said card.

Your PSU is a known rubbish brand (probably came with your computer, which is most likely an HP). Change it for a decent unit like the OCZ StealthXStream 500W or Antec Earthwatts 430W\500W before you get a new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back