Is there a backup system that backs up copies of the folder structure the way its shown on the PC?

Speck13

I'm using the Windows Backup tool to backup my files onto both an internal and external HD throughout the week. I choose which folders and libraries to backup because I only care about certain things getting backed up. When I use the Windows Backup tool, it backs up the files to a backup file that allows me to grab the data I want from it.

Is there a way to just backup the folders so I see the folders the way they would display in the Windows OS? If Windows backup doesn't do this, does any other backup solution? If so, what are some you may recommend?

I use syncbackSE which does all you want, and much more. There is a (slightly limited) free version. http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

I would say the number of options available makes this a very professional product - it's been around a long time and is widely used by professionals - but the trade-off is it may not be the most suitable for inexperienced PC users. However, taking the default options throughout would result in a very good solution for you. It's main aim is the copying of existing file structures to backup devices in which typically the same file structure is repeated (or any selected parts of it). You can also, quite usefully, set the copy to not delete files which you have deleted from your source directories, which makes it an extended recycle bin. Yet you can clean up those copies of deleted files any time you like in a couple of clicks.

I use Alway Sync which is a smart copy, full copy on first time and changes on every other, thus keeping the backup as a mirror of the originals with minimum data movement.

Back