Is there a PCIe x8 video card?

marklantis

I have a dell sc 440 server with a PCIe x8, PCIe x4, PCIe x1, and PCI slot but NO PCIe x16 slot.
Some say PCIe x8, and PCIe x4 are only for RAID and SCSI drives and will not even recognize a video card. I just need a card that is capable of 3D graphics, HD resolution and Direct X 9.0. Does one exist that will fit in any of these slots? I have searched and am totally confused what the truth is here.

I know of someone that actually cut the PCB of a graphics card from x16 down to x1. They did this because they only had a x1 card slot and needed the cards processing capability without needing a lot of bandwidth.
  • PCIe x16 has pinouts to sense the presence of x1, x4, x8 and x16 functionality.
  • PCIe x8 has pinouts to sense the presence of x1, x4, and x8 functionality.
  • PCIe x4 has pinouts to sense the presence of x1, and x4, functionality.
Do you see a pattern? Basically if the card fits the slot, it should work. Some slots are even open on the end allowing for x16 cards to fit in lower bandwidth slots. Some slots are even long enough for x16 cards but only pinned for x8 functionality.

When connecting in Crossfire and SLI, some motherboards will drop the graphics cards from x16 functionality down to x8 functionality.

After looking at these thoughts; I see no reason why you couldn't get any graphics card to work, if you are willing to do a little modification.

Back