Is there a way to use an old hard drive with new computer

I am upgrading my motherboard, processor and ram from my current stock system. I was just wondering if I had to get a new hard drive and buy windows again or if I can use the one that came with my computer with the new stuff. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you mean to say that you want to keep the old installation of windows intact and put the hard drive in, then no.

All the drivers are different, the mainthing being the chipset. Loading up windows from the old drive will just end up with having a bluescreen or a failed load.

However, it is possibly to connect that drive (if it has the proper connection, i.e IDE or SATA), and reload windows and use the drive.

Is there a way to reload windows without a disk? When i bought the computer it did not come with a windows disk seeing as it was pre-installed. Maybe a recovery disk would work?

Chances are the copy that came with your computer is OEM and bound to the motherboard you are taking out. If this is the case you would need to purchase a new copy of Windows.

You do not need to purchase a new one.. OEM's still work with new motherboards.

It is not technically legal/supposed to be that way, but you can. Just don't tell microsoft ;)

Anyways, What type of computer is it? Like, an Acer? Compaq? HP? Pre-builds generally come with a recovery partition, or require you to make your own recovery DVD's

Very, probably F10 or F11 (maybe F12?) to access this partition as it is booting (kind of like going into the BIOS) and just follow the steps.

WARNING:
As I'm sure you know, or should, doing the recovery install resets it to Factory Default, with all HP products back on(some people hate these) as well as your data will be lost. Back up any and all data that you want to keep before doing this.

bloatware is not a problem right now especially when it prevents me from having to drop $$$ for a new copy of windows, and btw thanks guys, you've been very helpful.

No problem. It sucks that there is no way to obtain a valid Windows Installation CD without purchasing windows, but that's the way Microsoft decided to do things. Best of luck.

You do not need to purchase a new one.. OEM's still work with new motherboards.

It is not technically legal/supposed to be that way, but you can. Just don't tell Microsoft ;)
You are correct, I have done this very thing myself and then worked to make it right afterward.

You might should send this type of information in the form of a PM as it would technically be classified as promoting piracy. Piracy is not supported by many websites and usually removed by forum moderation. With PM's you are free to say what you like.

If you have the product ID, you should have no real big trouble... To get the product ID, download Belarc Advisor or other computer inventory. Then use an OEM disk (you can even borrow one, if you have that product ID.) Then when you activate, activate from the same telephone number, if possible.
Usually nothing happens except activation. But you may get an invitation to call Microsoft to clarify what you are doing. They are nice about it. But if you do it again, your argument must be better.
You have the right to use the same product ID, if you upgrade your hard drive, or for other system failures. It is when you activate from different computers and telephone numbers and area codes that the problems arise. The activation code tells the Microsoft folks a lot of details about where and what was used for the installation, as well.
IF/When you get the choice to activate online or by telephone, call them.

If you have the product ID, you should have no real big trouble... To get the product ID, download Belarc Advisor or other computer inventory. Then use an OEM disk (you can even borrow one, if you have that product ID.) Then when you activate, activate from the same telephone number, if possible.
Usually nothing happens except activation. But you may get an invitation to call Microsoft to clarify what you are doing. They are nice about it. But if you do it again, your argument must be better.
You have the right to use the same product ID, if you upgrade your hard drive, or for other system failures. It is when you activate from different computers and telephone numbers and area codes that the problems arise. The activation code tells the Microsoft folks a lot of details about where and what was used for the installation, as well.
IF/When you get the choice to activate online or by telephone, call them.

Exactly. It wouldnt be nice to charge people $140+ for a license that you would have to re-buy just for new system specs.

Kind of a like a license plate, it can be moved from hardware-to-hardware, but can't be active on 2 seperate ones.

Back